Starbucks hours cut, student workers feel unheard

Caption: Butler’s on-campus Starbucks, a popular study spot and student employment opportunity, reduces hours amid Bon Appétit changes. Photo by Jonathan Wang.

MAXWELL COLLINS | STAFF REPORTER | mcollins1@butler.edu

One source asked to remain anonymous due to fear of retaliation regarding loss of employment and food security. This source will be referred to as the anonymous student worker.

As Dawgs returned to campus for a new semester, students were welcomed back with news of changed and reduced dining hours across Bon Appétit-managed dining locations at Butler. 

One change in hours that seems to have stirred the most response from students is the change in Butler’s Starbucks hours. Last year, Starbucks’ operation hours were 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays and 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekends. These late-night hours were unique to other Starbucks locations, offering a calm study space and the opportunity for students with complex schedules to work in the evenings and nights. New hours of operation are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and closed entirely on Sundays. 

Matthew Barnes, Bon Appétit general manager of residential dining who has been with Butler since May of 2019, shared via email the behind-the-scenes processes of introducing changes across campus dining. 

“Traffic patterns and guest flow was carefully reviewed before any changes were made,” Barnes said in an email to The Butler Collegian. “When we make a decision to change hours or modify programs, we aim to ensure that these products or similar products are still available at locations that are still open. While Starbucks is closed on Sundays, students can still find coffee and other specialty drinks at A-Town Market. We strive to find the balance between optimizing the student experience and maintaining operations efficiency.”

Gabby Grossman, a junior dance and arts administration major, began working at Starbucks during the 2023-24 school year, largely because of the ability to work late, which was the only time to fit into her intense dance schedule and 23 class hours per week. 

“I used to [work] about 15 hours a week, and those were all closing [shifts],” Grossman said. “I would have rehearsals all day, we would just end at 6 p.m. and I would book it over to Starbucks to be able to work.”

As Starbucks’ schedule changes were announced late in the summer, enrollment for 2024-25 classes had already been completed. Bon Appétit contacted student workers in early July about changes to hours of operations, where alternative Bon Appétit positions were also shared, including barista positions in A-Town Market. With the new hours in place, Grossman has had to heavily adjust her work schedule, now working only seven hours a week in the early mornings before class. 

Positions at Starbucks are highly sought after for Butler students; it is one of the highest paying jobs, at $14.50/hr — previously unique hours and the bonus of shift meals and snacks. Between these characteristics, Grossman shared that Starbucks positions are especially preferred in Butler’s dance program.

“There’s a handful of dancers and we always used to do the closing shifts, and normal students who have more time during the day normally take the mid-day and morning shifts,” Grossman said. “But now we are all competing for the same hours, so everyone has had their hours cut and it’s harder to find shifts to work and pick up.”

An anonymous student worker at Starbucks has shared this sentiment, with fear of more drastic changes to come. 

“Now we have a full staff and only three-quarters of the hours we started with,” the anonymous worker said. “That raised a lot of questions, are we going to start laying off people? Are we going to reduce wages? Luckily, I am back on the schedule, but at a significantly reduced rate.”

There are many reasons why a student may seek a job on campus, some for experience or spending money, but for others, it may be to pay bills and purchase necessities.

“I [began working at Starbucks] because it is one of the highest paying campus jobs that you can get as a student,” the anonymous worker said. “Last year I was super food insecure, so it was great because I was able to get a reliable breakfast and lunch, which you’re not going to get at a lot of other jobs. It is one of the reasons why I value my position here as much as I disagree with all the changes that are going on.”

Elena Walker, a sophomore criminology and international business major, has worked at Starbucks for a year and shared some of the benefits of a position at Butler dining locations. On-campus jobs provide a unique opportunity for university students, where other jobs may have little to no regard for class schedules, there is more understanding from management at positions on campus.

“A lot of people do rely on this job to make a decent income,” Walker said. “But with the hours being cut it makes it a lot harder, and I feel that other people are having to pick up odd jobs and side tasks.”

As concerns rise among staff, some workers have been forced to seek out additional jobs on campus. Grossman shared that she has two other jobs on campus, one of which she picked up to fulfill her missing hours.

“I picked up working at the [Fairview] front desk because of my lack of hours, even though the desk pays significantly less — I get paid $9/hr at the desk,” Grossman said. 

The anonymous student worker said they wished for clearer communication from Bon Appétit after feeling blindsided by recent changes.

“[Bon Appétit] seems to flip back and forth between asking students and employees for their opinion on things, whether that’s new menu items or new hours,” the student said. “Sometimes it really does seem like they’re listening to us, but at the end of the day, when they get to make those big, hard-hitting decisions, it’s obvious that we were never part of the discussion in the first place.”

Student workers are not the only people on campus who have voiced concerns and frustrations about the new hours. With shorter hours and the closing of Starbucks on Sundays altogether, people are left without their study session coffee fix.

“I’ve heard multiple other students complain that we aren’t open late enough,” Walker said. “6 p.m. isn’t great because all the other dining halls are still open, and some people are still in class at that time. I know classes that go until 8 [p.m.] … and I feel like a lot of students use Starbucks to come get snacks when they need it and now it’s not available for everyone.”

Barnes shared that while current hours may not be ideal for all students, their goal is to align hours with the highest student traffic. 

Walker suggests that students unhappy with the change should reach out to Butler’s administration.

“If they do want a change they’re going to have to be the ones to speak up about it, because if nothing is said [Bon Appétit] is going to think it’s fine and everyone is okay with it,” Walker said. “I know us as workers, we would love to be able to help serve you guys more and get more hours for ourselves.”

Other changes have been introduced across Bon Appétit-managed locations, including dining options in Atherton Union. Housed on the main floor of Atherton Union, Bon Appétit also manages A-Town Cafe — formerly Marketplace at Atherton Union. A-Town Cafe offers all-you-can-eat breakfast, lunch and dinner between 7 a.m. and 8:30 p.m. on weekdays and 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. on weekends. 

In the basement, Atherton Union also houses the recently renovated A-Town Market — formerly Plum Market. New changes introduced a new variety of snacks, candies and a small section dedicated to dorm and health essentials. A-Town Market also reduced its late-night hours, now closing at 10 p.m., compared to its midnight closure in years prior. Made-to-order meals are now only available until 9 p.m., with the kitchen now closing an hour earlier. The market’s prior hours were unique on campus, meaning the location was a prime dining and study space for students with busy academic, work and athletic schedules.

In Residential College Midtown Provisions also offers lunch and dinner options from 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., featuring student favorites like fresh pizza, burrito bowls and made-to-order subs. Midtown Provisions also houses many grab-and-go options including snacks, instant meals and desserts, open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. After news of introducing a 24-hour pizza ATM last year, the highly anticipated option has arrived on the first floor of Residential College, located just outside of the dining hall, so students have access regardless of Midtown Provisions’ open hours.

Butler Brew in the Lacy School of Business has also undergone a recent shift in staff, changing its approach to be run by students. Previous Bon Appétit workers at the location were kept on staff and relocated to different dining areas on campus.

For students located further from other dining hall options, Trip’s Corner Market at Apartment Village is a spot where students can pick up ready-to-eat meals like sandwiches, wraps, salads and small grocery items.

While changes can be difficult to navigate, the anonymous Starbucks worker suggested open communication with hourly employees to maintain a strong bond between management and student staff. 

“When you push it really close to when school starts and we still don’t know whether we’re hired, what the hours are going to be, or what products we are going to offer, it really breaks a lot of trust,” the student said. “I need to feel included in the conversation.”

For multimedia coverage on this topic, check out our multimedia story here.