Ask Abby: Cover your cough

Graphic by Haley Morkert.

ABIGAIL RUBLE | OPINION COLUMNIST | amruble@butler.edu

DISCLAIMER: I am not licensed to actually give you advice. I’m in college just like you readers, and you can take what you like from what I write. I do not promise any miracles, A’s on exams or flying cars. I am really sorry about that last one.

It’s sick season, baby, and you know what that means: nobody has a voice, everyone is coughing and your bed has never called your name louder. Sick season is no joke, and if you’re unprepared, you might be crumbling under the weight of your cold. So, here’s my best advice when it comes to frat and first-year flu and how to get yourself feeling better faster.

1) Take your medicine

The best medicine is — of course — medicine. There is nothing like a good Mucinex, Sudafed or Dayquil.  That’s not to say these will cure you instantly — you need to keep taking them consistently to do that — but you’ll feel better for the time being.

My best advice when it comes to medicine is to keep the medicine cabinet in your dorm stocked with cold and flu remedies all the time. That way, you’re prepared to be sick. Getting sick happens to everyone eventually so being stocked up really comes in clutch. You feel icky and need some cold medicine? Cool, there’s some in the cabinet; now you don’t have to run to CVS to buy some.

When I packed for college, I went to Target with my mom and threw whatever medicine I could possibly imagine needing while away from home into the cart. Dayquil, Nyquil, Aleve, Advil, Mucinex, Sudafed, cough drops — the strawberry flavor if you were wondering. I didn’t want to leave anything to chance when it came to not feeling well, and you shouldn’t either.

2) Get some sleep

Rest is the best thing for you when you’re sick. Put on your favorite comfort show — Gilmore Girls is a fall fav of mine — and get cozy in bed with a good snack and a warm cup of tea to give your brain a break.

Sleep is one of the things the body needs most while you’re sick. It gives you time to heal and fight your cold while you are resting, giving you the ability to have more energy for the next day so hopefully you can start feeling better.

I love sleep. Sleeping is probably one of the things I look forward to the most as a busy college student. Put on your warm pjs, get comfy underneath your blankets and cozy up in bed. I truly can’t think of a better way to spend a night when I’m sick.

3) Stay home

You know what probably got you sick? A sweaty, hot, stinky, spitty frat party, so don’t go to them while you are sick. While parties are fun, you really should not get turnt in the Delt basement if you’re not feeling well. After all, there’s always next weekend.

It sucks to feel sick, but passing on the Butler plague to your friends and family sucks even more. It’s important to go to class; after all, what are we here for if not a quality education? However, if your brain is already foggy, and all you can focus on are your sniffles, the information in class probably isn’t going to stick. 

4) It’s going to be okay

Babes, I am so sorry you feel icky. It’s no fun, and I would give you a socially-distanced air hug if it helped. I really hope you feel better and take advantage of the modern medicine available to you. But remember, the cold will pass, and you will feel better soon. Being sick sucks, but I trust you’ll be feeling better in no time with some cold medicine in your system and cozied up under your favorite blanket. Drink some tea and eat some soup. I love you.

If you need anything when you feel sicky, just call, and I’ll be there.

Abby

If you want to ask a question, please email me at amruble@butler.edu, use the link on The Butler Collegian’s Instagram, send a dog with your question or you can walk up to me and ask. Dogs preferred.