Mardi Gras: Bringing New Orleans to ResCo

GABBY MOLINE | STAFF REPORTER

Mardi Gras is known throughout the United States as a large celebration in New Orleans that features delicious Cajun food, masks and more. On Tuesday, February 9, Mardi Gras found its way to Butler’s campus, provided by the Efroymson Diversity Center and the diversity groups.

Students of all different ages and nationalities rushed to ResCo to join Butler’s Mardi Gras celebration. Before students were allowed in the doors, however, they were required to create a Mardi Gras mask and bracelet or crown.

Collegian photo by Lauren Biolsi

Students anxiously strung beads and glued feathers so that they could reach the free Yats food and other festivities in the dining hall.

After completing their tasks, students received tickets to enter the party.

Sophomore Veena Barona, treasurer of Latinos Unidos, was one student who helped pass out tickets.

“My favorite part is how many people show up,” Barona said. “It’s always fun to see how involved people are, especially this first-year class.”

First-year student Tricia Santos-Babaran sat at a table strewn with beads, enjoying the atmosphere.

“This event is a really good way to get everyone involved on campus and to bring diversity into the whole school,” Santos-Babaran said.

Santos-Babaran also enjoyed the food, saying she did not expect it to be so good. Dishes served at the event included Yats’ B&B and etouffee and king cake.

Collegian photo by Lauren Biolsi

Besides food, students could also take advantage of free psychic readings, caricatures and face painting.

First-year student Rebecca VanVliet appreciated the live jazz music provided by Butler student musicians, as well as the other entertainment.

“I made a mask, I’m eating free food, I’m happy,” VanVliet said.