Islamophobia in language: the fear of jihad and Sharia law

Islamophobic language endangers Muslims. Graphic by Reece Butler.

SADIA KHATRI | OPINION COLUMNIST | sskhatri@butler.edu 

There are a handful of words and phrases associated with and a part of Islam that strike the hearts of many with fear and anxiety. These terms — such as jihad and Sharia law — evoke negative emotional responses and are often used liberally and improperly. 

Non-Muslims tend to use terms we know very little about with the false authority of an expert; such an attitude upholds new and existing biases. Prevailing prejudices, coupled with very limited knowledge of Islam, is the perfect breeding ground for Islamophobia. 

Language matters

Dr. Sholeh Shahrokhi, a professor in the Department of History, Anthropology and Classics, emphasized that there are real consequences associated with improperly using language. 

“Languages do matter,” Shahrokhi said. “Islamophobic language does hurt people. It’s an act of violence. It’s an act of erasure. It’s an act of systemic silencing and dehumanization and marginalization of voices, in this case, based on stereotypes about ‘the other.’”

Referencing Islamic concepts out of context and with little genuine knowledge to support bigoted agendas can have major ramifications. Language is more powerful than we may think. Using Islamic language ignorantly perpetuates harmful stereotypes about Muslims; seemingly blissful ignorance for one person is a dehumanized reality for another. 

Junior political science major Claire Shaffer is Muslim and noted that there is a unique phenomenon where people will incorrectly cite Islamic concepts or Arabic phrases for the purposes of being Islamophobic. 

“In the West, in the United States, you don’t really see people who are bigoted towards other religions using [their religious] text,” Shaffer said. “The argument is usually, ‘Oh, look, Islam says this and it’s barbaric.’” 

Fear and bigotry derive from discomfort and unawareness. Though it is reasonable not to be fully aware of the complexities of Islam, it is far less reasonable to harbor hostilities towards an entire religion on the basis of misinformation. 

To confront our biases, it is imperative that we ask what these allegedly scary phrases mean. 

What is jihad?

Dr. Syed Zaidi, a lecturer in the philosophy and religion department, provided some clarity and insight into what jihad truly represents. 

“[Arabic] is a language which is fundamentally built on three-letter root words,” Zaidi said. “The Arabic word ‘jihad’ is based on the root [word] ‘jahada’ … Jahada literally means … to endeavor, to strive, to labor, to take pains out, to overwork, to exhaust.”

From the context of this root word, jihad can also be understood in terms of all the struggles and endeavors of a Muslim. 

“For me, it’s a struggle to better myself as a Muslim, to be a better person, to practice Islam more faithfully and truly,” Shaffer said. “So for me, it has absolutely no violent connotations.”

Dr. Zaidi also emphasized that there are two types of jihad within Islam: a lesser jihad and a greater jihad.  

“The lesser jihad is a jihad against physical enemies,” Zaidi said. “The greater jihad is that against … bad behavior [and] unethical behavior … The greater jihad … [is] the greater struggle is to become … a better person … To be a Muslim means to submit to God.”

It is important to recognize that a physical jihad, the lesser jihad, does indeed exist. However, it is equally important to understand that Islam has very strict guidelines that emphasize that actions carried out within war must be just. But the fact that such clarifications must be made also points to the Islamophobic double standard that exists. Muslims constantly need to clarify and provide justifications for Islamic concepts that non-Muslims are not fully informed about, and we rarely see this phenomenon with other faiths, which furthers the notion that Islam is inherently different or violent when it is not. 

A word as purportedly scary as jihad ultimately denotes a struggle. The daily routine of a Muslim likely includes some form of jihad. Struggling to pray all five prayers on time, fasting properly during the month of Ramadan and wearing the hijab in times of hardship all constitute a form of jihad. 

What is Sharia law?

In addition to jihad, Sharia law is also ostensibly terrifying to many. The true definition of Sharia, however, is far less intense than many would assume. 

“The word ‘Sharia’ corresponds to the specific verses of the Quran that address specific laws,” Zaidi said. “For example, the Quran says that eating pork is not allowed, getting drunk is not allowed. These are the laws that Muslims believe God revealed directly to Muhammad, which corresponds directly to Sharia.”

Zaidi explained that Sharia, combined with the Hadith, work together to create the world of applied Islamic law known as fiqh

“The majority of the rulings pertain to one’s personal life [and] … family,” Zaidi said. “There’s very little interest in taking that and bringing it to the larger front, meaning, outside of one’s family… What’s very important to also keep in mind is that it wasn’t until the modern period where Sharia law became something institutionalized widely on a governmental level.”

The fear-mongering around Sharia is rooted in a wild lack of factual information. 

Why does this happen?

Islamophobia within language is far too common, with a recent example being the comparison between the conservative Project 2025 to Sharia law. But what drives this Islamophobic rhetoric?

“There’s a history of Islamophobic perception of the words and what they mean and their context, without bothering to look it up, without bothering to understand,” Shahrokhi said. “But I remember … being Muslim was … in the 80s and 90s was equated with … this layered stereotyped and prejudiced language and perception of ‘the other’ … being Muslim means you’re Arab, and being Muslim and Arab means that you are violent, and … [that] means that you are a terrorist or a potential threat … And so that would then be taken into areas of everyday speech.” 

It is easy to scapegoat and stereotype. When bigoted and bizarre beliefs about Islam are taken as fact, Muslims have to face the consequences. Making sweeping generalizations about Islam that are blatantly untrue denies Muslims of their identity and humanity. 

“The words and ideas behind words that are rightfully and historically associated with Islam … have systemically been misrepresented,” Shahrokhi said. “And I don’t think that’s haphazard or accidentally done.”

Language is deeply powerful, and the words we use to describe a demographic of people can impact our perceptions of them. Language can become a colonial, imperial and bigoted tool when it is used to minimize and dehumanize a people. 

“In portraying Muslims as inherently violent, barbaric terrorists, essentially that invites a violent response to Muslims because you don’t treat a violent, barbaric terrorist with respect, civility, understanding and empathy,” Shaffer said. “You want to excise them out of your communities.” 

As Islamophobic sentiment continues to rise, we can see that it has consequences that deeply harm Muslims, with the recent hate crimes and racist riots in the UK being a prime example of that. Language, and how we choose to use it, can have major ramifications. 

Ask questions, do research and think critically to not fall victim to false and prejudiced narratives. Rejecting Islamophobia in all forms is crucial. Do not let stereotypes blind you from seeking out the truth.