Freshmen differ on alcohol expectations

Freshmen arrived Aug. 18 with bags and books in tow, but also came with differing expectations.

Freshmen had mixed expectations on the alcohol policy and how it is enforced.

“I thought (the alcohol policy) was going to be enforced a lot more than it actually is,” freshman Jordan Reisman said.

Reisman said the one measure that he did not expect was the excise police.

Taking a look back at the previous year, sophomore Christina Perry, a resident assistant in Schwitzer Hall, said the message has changed from last year to this year.

“With the Red Cup Culture  video as a freshman, I didn’t really feel like they were giving off that it’s not okay if you drink,” Perry said. “But if you’re going to drink, it’s your choice, and we want you to be safe.”

She said that posters serve as a reminder that you need to be 21 to consume. Otherwise, you shouldn’t be drinking.

Freshman Elaine Coughlin, said she did not expect the policy enforcement.

“Everyone is talking about these undercover cops,” she said. “I didn’t think it was going to be that intense.”

Similar to Coughlin, freshman Abby Krabacher said, “I thought it was going to be a lot more relaxed.”

Assistant Chief of Police Andrew Ryan, said the policy depends on what students should expect.

“We respond to student behavior specifically as it relates to drug and alcohol use,” Ryan said. “We would respond to their behavior and then take the appropriate steps to make sure that the student is safe.”

Ryan said there have been some changes from previous years.

“We’ve been a little more strict in interpreting behaviors and issuing summons arrests along with the student affairs report,”  Ryan said.

Butler University Police Department has issued five summons arrests in September and made one custodial arrest this month. State excise police have made 10 summons arrests.

“The crackdown is a little bit excessive,” freshman Laurent Dupuis said.

In regard to the rest of the year, Ryan said, “We will adjust our staffing needs as needed, so there may be certain times of the year that you may see more officers working.”