Butler volleyball goes 2-1 in the California Tournament

Megan Sheridan jumps above the net to block a hit during the War Eagle Invitational in 2019. Photo courtesy of Butler Athletics.

SARAH HOHMAN | SPORTS REPORTER | shohman@butler.edu

The Butler volleyball team improved to 5-4 overall after going 2-1 in the California Tournament.

The Bulldogs began the weekend with a loss to North Dakota State losing 1-3 in close sets. Butler reacted to a first setloss with a 25-21 win in the second set before falling short in the final two sets.

First-year Mariah Grunze led the Bulldogs with 10 kills and had three digs, one ace and one block assist. First-year Grace Boggess and sophomore Amina Shackelford contributed to the team with nine and eight kills. Sophomore setter Madison Friebel returned to her home state with 37 assists, nine digs, three aces and a kill in the first game of the tournament.

The team rebounded from their first loss and took the next game versus Nevada. The Bulldogs won a nail-biting first set 25-23 before taking the next two as well.

Redshirt senior middle blocker Melody Davidson completed the game with 15 points on 11 kills and 8 block assists. Junior libero Jaymeson Kinley added 14 digs, an ace and an assist. Grunze and Shackelford added seven kills each.

Butler defeated California Berkley for the final game winning 3-1 in sets. The team rallied late in the fourth set down 6 points to complete the victory. 

Davidson dominated with 16 kills and a .448 hitting percentage, two single blocks and 3 block assists. Shackelford added 10 kills, one solo block and five block assists.

Butler will return home to face Eastern Kentucky at Hinkle Fieldhouse on Wednesday September 15 for a 6 p.m. match.