STAFF EDITORIAL | Core curriculum should be evaluated

Each year, Butler University students spend an average of 15 hours a week sitting in classrooms.

Even more time is spent outside the classrooms working on homework, cramming for tests or completing cultural requirements.

For 16 weeks each semester, students are bogged down with college commitments.

And while a heavy load is something each student  agrees to do, it’s not something each student likes to do.

If students are going to spend such a huge amount of time dedicating themselves to their schoolwork, they should have an opportunity to enjoy nearly every minute of it.

For some students, the core classes seem to drag on for all 16 weeks.

When students register for classes for their first semester at Butler, they often find themselves scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a First Year Seminar to squeeze into their schedules.

Those seminars are often about some microcosm of the universe that people rarely pay attention to.

When students have to pick other core classes, like GHS or science courses, they often find themselves in similar situations.

The core should be evaluated to make sure that courses can hold the interest of students and teach something valuable along the way.

More courses that interest students in their individual programs should be available.

Students should be able to make their education interesting and rewarding.

Sitting through a 32-week course about a topic that really carries no impact for students often turns them off from the subject.

It’s not fun for students or professors when students tune out during class time.

No one benefits.

Administrators should look into making classes more colorful, more relevant and more beneficial for students.

Plenty of professors are dedicated to education at Butler.

Some programs rank high above others in the nation.

So why not make sure that students can benefit from more of those classes or programs?

When students care, the entire Butler community benefits.