Homecoming: ‘I love the ‘90s’ this year’s theme

Start reliving childhood, Butler University—the theme for Homecoming 2011 is “I love the ‘90s.”

Students gathered in front of the Atherton Union steps as the theme and teams were announced at last night’s Homecoming kickoff.

“Growing up in the time, I love the ‘90s,” junior Sandy Meers said, “I wish it was the ‘80s though.”

Freshman Kristina Parro said, “I love the ‘90s—it’s fun.”

Students will notice there are a few changes to this year’s Homecoming—instead of assigning specific categories, the teams are picking their own favorite television show from the 1990s to act as their individualized themes.

Senior Katie Gordon said, “I think it’s cool that everyone picks their own rather than assigning everyone a theme. It levels the playing field.”

There is also a new “Celebrating Responsibly and Canned Food Drive” event on Tuesday night of Homecoming week. Peers Advocating Wellness for Students is teaming up with the Homecoming Committee to bring alcohol awareness speaker Mike Denton to the event. Admission will be one canned food item per student.

This year will also include working with the Volunteer Center to put on a community service event to be announced at a later date.

Programs for Leadership and Service Education director Caroline Huck-Watson said the Homecoming committee is focusing on incorporating more service into the event and involving the Indianapolis community.

“The committee has done an excellent job,” she said. “They have taken each step with a thoughtful and intentional approach in creating an energy on campus and the community with an overwhelming sense of Butler pride.”

The old favorite, “Midnight Snack,” is also being revamped this year into “Snack Attack.” Instead of facing the mad rush for food in the Reilly Room, Homcoming Committee will be using golf carts to deliver food to the sites where lawn decorations are being worked on.

Rob Miller, assistant director of the PuLSE office, said, “I think the idea behind this is to avoid a large group of people coming into a small space at the same time.”

Huck-Watson said the event has grown past its original intention of simply providing a break from lawn decorating. She said she thinks this change will bring the event back to its original roots as a kind of “fuel-up opportunity.”

Miller said he hopes the changes to this year’s Homecoming will be the starting point for establishing connectivity between the campus organizations and the city of Indianapolis.

“Homecoming is about creating an atmosphere,” he said.  “It’s not about the competition, but about everyone being a significant part of this institution and this community.”