Microtrends: Killing the planet one purchase at a time

Turning a blind eye to overconsumption. Graphic by Chelsea Copeland.

CHELSEA COPELAND | OPINION COLUMNIST | ccopeland@butler.edu 

From Beanie Babies in the 90s to low-rise jeans in the 2000s and even slime in 2020, trends have developed over the decades due to people’s desire to fit in. Trends are seen as a way to be cool and a way to belong to something. 

Social media has drastically sped up the process of trend popularization, therefore abruptly decreasing how long a trend remains relevant. From fashion to knick-knacks and even the latest diet, trends know no limits. Enter microtrends

A microtrend can be anything en vogue that only trends for a short period of time. The word “micro” is applied to this to define the brief duration of the trend’s popularity. Trends aren’t the issue in society; how fast we change them is. 

I have fallen victim to trends before, as I am sure most people have. I adored Fortnite, scrunchies and the infinity scarf. Upon reflection, I realize that I never truly liked those things — I just liked the fact that they were considered cool.

Not only do microtrends put a dent in your wallet, they cause a lot of damage to our climate. Frequently changing trends and overconsumption can cause detrimental impacts on the ecosystem, such as overfilling landfills and pollution, as well as being a host for other environmental crises.

Al Aylesworth, first-year entrepreneurship and innovation major, shed some light on how the overconsumption of trends leads to negative effects on the environment.

“[Microtrends] enable people to find their style and the way they feel most comfortable within their body,” Aylesworth said. “But there are problems with waste management of clothes. It’s also putting emphasis on fast fashion, which is really concerning because it makes it [difficult] to keep clothes for longer … because it’s constantly changing.”

The issue of overconsumption begins when you constantly purchase more and more, even if you don’t need the item. It is okay to buy something you like, but being conscious of your purchases can benefit the environment. One of the best ways to prevent this overconsumption is to remember that you don’t have to have something just because it’s deemed trendy. 

Hannah Howard, a senior environmental studies major and president of Eco Reps, admitted that an eco-conscious mindset doesn’t mean you can’t buy anything.

“I have the Summer Fridays lip balm; it was worth it because I use it all the time,” Howard said. “Certain things are worth the hype, but you don’t need to buy every single thing if you already have [something similar].”

Though beauty products like skin care and makeup certainly contribute to environmental decline, fast fashion is the bigger issue. Fast fashion is a prime example of overconsumption because of the neglect that occurs behind the scenes. Child labor, poor safety protocols and unfair wages, are all factors that play into creating a single garment.

There is no way for a single person to eliminate all fast fashion consumption, but there are ways to avoid further contributions. Aylesworth makes an effort to reduce their shopping — both first and secondhand. 

“I love to shop, I love thrifting and I love looking at new clothing, but I have such a full wardrobe right now, I don’t need anything new,” Aylsworth said. “I’m really focusing on keeping what I have and then using it until I can’t use it anymore.” 

While thrifting is better for the environment, it doesn’t erase the overconsumption problem society has developed. Whether it be clothes, accessories or beauty products, purchasing something just because it is secondhand actually doesn’t benefit the environment at all

A shopping addiction is not a valid reason to neglect the environment. Oftentimes, people will purchase a product that rarely gets used due to ever-changing trends. These purchases create an abundance of waste, especially when they are made to satisfy a need to shop, when they are thrown away at the whisper of a new trend. Microtrends are still perpetuated and achieved through non-fast fashion outlets like buying secondhand. 

Mae-Mae Han, a sixth-year P4 pharmacy student and fashion enthusiast, discussed how even thrifting doesn’t erase the problem surrounding overconsumption. While it is a better alternative, it still massively contributes to waste. 

“There is a tendency to let secondhand shopping replace your first-hand shopping addiction,” Han said. “Just because [something] is secondhand and is inherently less wasteful … if you’re still overconsuming, you’re still wasting money and you’re still ultimately creating that waste.” 

People often acknowledge that thrifting is a more sustainable option, but they forget that this is still consumption. Buying something without an extreme want or need for it will inevitably lead to the disposal of the item, thus creating more waste. 

Microtrends reinforce the replacement of new products before the old one is finished simply because there is a new trend knocking on the door. Summer Fridays lip balm is an example of a current trend, but before that, it was Burt’s Bees and prior to that it was eos. With how frequently new products are produced to create and accommodate new trends, those lip balms that came before Summer Fridays are likely cluttered in a drawer you have already forgotten about.

When people have too many items that serve the same purpose, they favor the new product and the old becomes neglected. The purchase of a new, secondhand product that won’t be fully used still creates waste because that item’s new future is to be thrown out — even though it was purchased secondhand. This ideology contributes the most to the environmental decline. 

The next time you scroll social media and see a new trending item, take a second to consider if being trendy for two weeks is worth the permanent effects that microtrends can have on the environment. 

Ask yourself if it is something you would enjoy past the expiration date that the trendy title has placed upon it. If the answer is yes, wait a week before hitting purchase to decide if it’s something you still feel drawn towards. This not only saves you money, but being conscious of your purchases also saves the planet.