Indiana governor debate recap

All candidates on the ballot for Indiana governor debate multiple topics for the first time in the 2024-2025 election season. From left to right: Mike Braun, Jennifer McCormick and Donald Rainwater. Photo courtesy of WISH-TV.

OLLIE FITZGERALD | STAFF REPORTER | ofitzgerald@butler.edu

Sen. Mike Braun (R) and Jennifer McCormick, former superintendent of public instruction (D) appeared on stage for the first governor debate of the election season on Wednesday, Oct. 2. Braun, McCormick and Donald Rainwater, the Libertarian nominee, met to continue the debate with the third candidate on the ballot on Thursday, Oct. 3.

Indiana has had a Republican governor since 2005. Polls show McCormick only three points behind Braun and 10 points ahead with independent voters, making this race for governor one of the closest in the past two decades.

Each candidate had 60 seconds to respond to the questions asked by Fox59 moderators. They were allowed 15 to 30 seconds to clarify answers or make a rebuttal. The second night of debate was hosted by WISH-TV and followed the same structure.

While there were many disagreements in policy and differences in planning for government initiatives, the candidates remained civil and agreed somewhat on several issues. Braun previously voted as a Democrat and McCormick was formerly elected as a Republican. Now Braun is a self-proclaimed conservative Republican while McCormick is a self-proclaimed “proud Democrat”. 

Sarah Pawlowski, a junior political science and strategic communication major, said the candidates did a good job explaining their intended policies, especially for funding. 

“I think [McCormick] did a good job defending Indiana state politics and had more realistic ways of enacting policy,” Pawlowski said. “[Overall], both candidates went into their policies [in depth] and explained them well, especially about funding [throughout the state].

Economy

Regarding inflation, Braun emphasized that he is an entrepreneur and a business owner who always focuses on investing in his key employees. When asked to clarify what his plan is, Braun discussed raising employee wages. 

Braun said he would consider raising the Indiana minimum wage from $7.25, but would rather figure out the right mix of small and large businesses in the economy. Braun continuously criticized “[McCormick’s] party” promoting “Bidenomics” when asked about economic inflation. 

McCormick explained that she is from a fifth-generation farm family and a former educator to demonstrate how economic issues have impacted her experiences. McCormick has already released a public economy recovery plan and is also considering raising the minimum wage. 

“We polled [about our plans] in a bipartisan practice [and we have a] plan that I will enact day one,” McCormick said about property tax relief. 

Rainwater said he created a plan to keep property taxes from rising above 1% in 2020. He said that he came up with the idea instead of Braun. Rainwater did not elaborate on his plan during the debate.

Immigration

Braun and McCormick were asked how they would support legal immigrants in the community. McCormick stated that Braun referenced democrats in the federal government; she clarified that she has never worked in the federal government. She elaborated that Braun has worked in the federal government — meaning he had the power to influence federal law — but voted against a bipartisan border policy bill. McCormick elaborated, promising to embrace legal immigrants and cooperate with federal government regulations, no matter who the president is. 

Braun wants more legal immigrants but noted problems with illegal immigration at the border. Braun claimed that the border issues were caused by the Biden-Harris administration. 

“This country was built on legal immigration, not open borders,” Braun said.

Rainwater would like to make immigration a legal issue, not a political issue. Rainwater also questioned why Braun thinks he can do more about immigration as governor than he did in the Senate.

“We have a complete failure at the federal government,” Rainwater said. “Both Democrats and Republicans failed.” 

Drugs

McCormick said that it is time to legalize marijuana, starting with medical and then moving to recreational, adult use. McCormick plans on making a committee to help slowly legalize the drug while cooperating with law enforcement. She also plans on obtaining the views of those who had been previously incarcerated for marijuana possession and use. McCormick also addressed how the legalization of marijuana in Indiana would be a large economic boost. 

“Hoosiers are using [marijuana], whether it’s medical or recreational,” McCormick said. 

Regarding the opioid crisis in Indiana, McCormick said she plans on working with the Department of Health and other regional resources to help provide assistance to the community. 

Braun supports the legalization of medical marijuana as he thinks it could be an important resource for Hoosiers. Braun said he would consider legalizing the drug for recreation but would first listen to the legislature, law enforcement and Hoosiers themselves. 

“I will be open to what makes sense — not what is politically convenient,” Braun said. 

Braun emphasized the importance of working closely with law enforcement in the case of any marijuana legalization. Addressing the opioid crisis in Indiana, Braun blamed the issue on “open borders, cartels and Biden-Harris.” 

McCormick addressed a bipartisan border patrol bill to help with the import of illegal drugs that was voted on in the national Senate. She mentioned that Braun had voted “no” on the bill.

Rainwater said that Indiana does not need a special commission and could make all forms of marijuana legal right now. 

“If legislators are not prepared, that is their fault and we should probably replace them,” Rainwater said. Rainwater also said he would “expunge” everyone with marijuana-related crimes.

Abortion

“The people of our state are pro-life,” Braun said. Braun believes Indiana is a right-to-life state, and that current laws following the overturn of Roe v. Wade are working for Hoosiers.

Rainwater is a self-proclaimed pro-life Libertarian. Rainwater said the judicial branch can determine if the law is unconstitutional. Rainwater mentioned that Hoosiers can reach out to local lawmakers if they are unhappy, then it’s up to the people of Indiana to petition the legislature to change the current abortion restrictions. Rainwater said he knows many Hoosiers who are pro-choice.

“I’ve never read anywhere in our constitution that Indiana is a pro-life state,” Rainwater said.

McCormick said that she was the only person on the stage who had been pregnant, given birth and is a mother. She has talked to women across the state and said they are unhappy with the current restrictions. McCormick plans to change the current legislation on abortion. 

“I trust women [and] I trust healthcare providers,” McCormick said. “I don’t see [how our laws now] are working.”

Digitally altered campaign ads

Braun’s campaign released a political advertisement with an AI-altered image of McCormick in it. Braun was asked about the use of and response to the backlash for the ad. Braun claimed that the ad emphasized a point and that his campaign took it down immediately. 

“The only mistake [we made] is that we didn’t disclaim [the AI],” Braun said. “The ad was to point out that my opponent is embracing some of the liberal policies and I don’t think Hoosiers are ready for that.”

McCormick was asked about using re-ordered clips of Braun’s voice in some of her campaign ads. McCormick stated that she used his actual voice and quotes while Braun used AI to alter her image and did not immediately take it down. McCormick said Braun’s running mate Micah Beckwith said she had a “jezebel spirit” in response to the ad and that he still has not apologized. 

“I was an elementary [school] principal,” McCormick said. “I learned that [you need to be] upfront and apologize.” 

The debates covered a wide range of topics important to Indiana voters. There will be a third debate on Oct. 24 at 7 p.m. before Election Day on Nov. 5.