Broad Ripple Farmers Market celebrates 30 years of tradition

Explore the Broad Ripple Farmers Market located at 6001 N. Rural St. on Saturdays from 8-12 a.m. Photo by Darcy Leber. 

MADDY BRODERICK | ASSISTANT CULTURE EDITOR | mbroderick@butler.edu

Over the past three decades, the Broad Ripple Farmers Market (BRFM) has grown from a small local initiative to a beloved gathering place for Indianapolis residents and Butler students alike. What began as an effort to bring fresh, local food to the community has evolved into a thriving hub where local farmers, artisans and patrons come together each weekend. 

As the market celebrates its 30th anniversary, the market’s history is a testament to the community’s dedication to supporting local agriculture, reducing waste and creating a space for connection. It’s more than just a venue to buy local; it’s a place where neighbors connect, small businesses showcase their products and local talent is appreciated. 

A legacy of leadership and dedication

Barbara Wilder, the market manager for over 15 years, has been pivotal in the market’s evolution. Wilder’s contributions to the market began following the untimely passing of her mentor, Ross Faris, in 2011. Faris, a key figure in the market’s early days, had laid the foundation for the BRFM.

“We’ve always stayed focused on promoting local food,” Wilder said. “That’s what Ross believed in, and it’s what our community still values most.”

Despite lacking a permanent location and operating on a nonprofit basis, the market has thrived, thanks to the support of the community and a dedicated team of volunteers. The market’s commitment to sustainability is clear, especially in its use of compostable materials. Additionally, the BRFM offers food stamps and a matching grant program called SNAP for fresh produce, making healthy food accessible to a broader audience. 

“We want everyone to have access to healthy, local food,” Wilder said. “I think that’s a really important part of what we do.”

Honoring local farmers

The owner of Wild’s Apple Farm David Boots further emphasized the market’s success and its impact on local farmers. His farm, started by Gene Wild with his collection of over 2,000 apple trees, joined the BRFM as a vendor about a decade ago. 

“The market has been a key part of our growth, helping us introduce new products like apple cider donuts and slushies,” Boots said. 

The strong customer relationships and supportive management from the BRFM have ensured the farm’s success and continued presence in the market. By creating a welcoming environment where farmers and producers feel valued, the market has helped small businesses thrive while building a loyal customer base that returns each week. 

A platform for artistic expression

The BRFM is not only a venue for fresh produce but also a stage for local talent. Junior musical arts major Zoe Klotz, who performs with the Arthur Jordan Saxophone Quartet at the BRFM, values the market’s relaxed and welcoming performance environment. 

“It’s a much lower pressure environment, so it’s a lot easier to have fun with the music,” Klotz said. “People are going to enjoy it no matter what you sound like.”

Klotz recognized performing in the market as a significant contributor to their growth as a musician. The casual atmosphere allowed them to explore new pieces and styles of music in a way that more formal settings don’t always permit.

“Performing at the market has helped me balance high-level playing with enjoyment,” Klotz said. “We’ve been told that it makes the market very pleasant, which makes me really happy because I love it when I get to share what I enjoy with other people.”

An engaged community experience

Sophomore environmental studies major Ashlynn Stout visited the BRFM as part of an assignment for her RL 384 – Ecotheology course and was impressed by the market’s integration into the urban setting. Despite the rain, she observed a lively atmosphere with about 30 different vendors and appreciated the market’s unique offerings such as guacamole and coffee. 

“I was impressed that there was a bus station there because a big part of fresh food is making sure it stays fresh,” Stout said. “There was also a stand at the front where people could get SNAP tickets for food vouchers, so it’s not just an elevated farmers market that only rich people can go to.”

The market left a lasting impression on Stout, inspiring her to return to the market and continue exploring its diverse range of local goods and initiatives. She recommended checking the BRFM’s Instagram for updates on vendors and events, encouraging others to experience the unique atmosphere the market has to offer. 

As the BRFM celebrates three decades, its dedication to supporting local farmers, fostering community connections and promoting sustainability remains unwavering. Its ability to adapt and thrive ensures it will remain a cherished staple in the Broad Ripple community for years to come.