A study abroad semester in photos

A journey across Europe. Photo by Abigail Oakley.

ABIGAIL OAKLEY | STAFF REPORTER | aloakley@butler.edu

During the fall semester, I studied French in Paris, France and had the experience of a lifetime. I fell in love with the city, expanded my horizons and became slightly less mediocre at French. Paris is a wonderful place to be for anyone who loves to learn. I learned a lot through my studies – of course – but I learned even more from metro rides, café visits and nights out.

Not only did I get to know Paris, but I also had the opportunity to travel across Europe. In total, I visited seven countries and 14 cities. Europe turned out to be vaster and more complicated than I ever could have imagined. From the quiet elegance of Turin, Italy to the natural beauty of the Swedish countryside, each experience left me speechless.

When people ask about my time abroad, I often struggle with where to start. I can tell you what I did, but how do I describe what I learned and how it changed me? How do I describe the deep friendships I made? Or the feeling of walking through Paris on a Sunday afternoon?

The best way is to let photos say what I cannot.

Rue Daguerre, Paris, France. Photo by Abigail Oakley.

This was one of the first photos I took after arriving in Paris. This is the street right next to my school. It captures the hustle and bustle of the city, as well as some of the architecture.

Aberdour, Scotland. Photo by Abigail Oakley.

While visiting Edinburgh, I stayed in a small coastal town just outside the city. I captured this eerily peaceful view of the North Sea while on a night walk.

Turin, Italy. Photo courtesy of Mario Roccuzzo.

I had the opportunity to stay with some family friends in the regional city of Turin, Italy. This photo is at dinner with my “Italian cousins” who welcomed me as one of their own.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Photo by Abigail Oakley.

The variety of street life and architecture in Amsterdam was inspiring. Each street looked straight out of a movie. These particular buildings reminded me of one of my favorite filmmakers Wes Anderson.

Norrköping, Sweden. Photo courtesy of Hannah Suarez.

For a few decades, my family has been in contact with some distant cousins who live in Sweden. They invited me to stay with them and shared their beautiful cities of Norrköping and Stockholm with me. This photo is with Nils, a member of my “faraway family.”

Marseilles, France. Photo by Abigail Oakley.

These are two of my favorite photos from the experience. They caught some of the best moments with my friends during a hike off the coast of France. This was our last trip before going back to the United States.

Skyline, Paris, France. Photo by Abigail Oakley.

Finally, what would a Paris study abroad photojournal be without an Eiffel Tower photo? This is the view of the city from the Arc de Triomphe. With the Eiffel Tower, the changing leaves and the Parisien rooflines, this photo encompasses what it feels like to be in Paris in the fall. 

My study abroad was a life-changing experience that I will continue to look back on as I move forward toward new experiences. If you are thinking about studying abroad, visit the Butler Center for Global Education for more information.