Butler volleyball Anna Logan notches 1,000 career kills against DePaul

Anna Logan celebrates after scoring a point against Marquette on Sept. 20. Logan has 69 kills this season. Collegian file photo. 

JIMMY LAFAKIS | STAFF REPORTER | jlafakis@butler.edu

The Butler University volleyball team swept the DePaul University Blue Demons on Sept. 28. Junior outside hitter Anna Logan recorded her 1,000th kill in the match.

Logan led all players with 17 kills and a match-high 18 digs. The Bulldogs hit .219 as a team, while DePaul posted a .084 hitting percentage.

“Reaching 1,000 kills was a goal of mine, but I couldn’t have done it without my teammates and coaches,” Logan said. “They’ve pushed me since day one and have kept me focused. It was also nice to have some of my friends there, as they’ve been super-supportive.”

The Bulldogs improved to 12-3 (2-1 Big East) on the season. Redshirt junior outside hitter Whitney Beck added 10 kills and nine digs in the 25-19, 25-20, 26-24 victory.

“We wanted to get out and have high energy from the beginning,” head coach Sharon Clark said. “I thought the girls did an excellent job of that.”

The third set saw some close action, as Butler won two straight points after the score knotted at 24. Junior middle blocker Bri Lilly found Beck for the game-winning point.

“I think we blocked well, which is a team and personal plus,” Lilly said. “We played a little out of our comfort zone, which was actually to our advantage. We were scrappier and crafty with the ball throughout all three sets.”

The home team received major contributions from freshmen, as freshman middle blocker Rachel Klitzing recorded six kills and five blocks and freshman outside hitter Natalie Ravenell posted five blocks of her own. The Bulldogs also posted three aces in the match.

“I think we did well serving aggressively as a whole,” Ravenell said. “I improved a lot on my defensive play and reading hitters.”

The Bulldogs will head east to face Georgetown University on Friday. First serve in the nation’s capital is set for 6 p.m.