Butler mourns celebrated professor

Amos Carpenter, a professor of mathematics, died Tuesday after a battle with pancreatic cancer.

Carpenter started at Butler University in 1984. He taught calculus and geometry courses this semester.

During his time at Butler, Carpenter served as the department head for more than 10 years.

He received several awards both at the university and the state level, including the 2008 Distinguished Service Award from the Indiana Section of the Mathematical Association of America.

In the presentation of the award, Patricia Oakley, chair of the association, recognized Carpenter for his dedication to the field.

“The list of courses he has taught presents both a history of computer science and a very real indication of the versatility he has brought to campus,” Oakley said.

Carpenter served as the managing editor of Electronic Transactions on Numerical Analysis between 2000 and 2005.

Carpenter earned his doctorate degree from the University of Leeds in England. He also attended Kent State University and the University of Durham.

“(Carpenter) will be remembered for being a productive and recognized scholar in mathematical logic and approximation theory, a dedicated teacher who challeneged and supported his students and someone who selflessly gave himself to serve,” Butler President Jim Danko said in an email sent to the Butler community Tuesday afternoon.

A complete feature on Carpenter and his legacy at Butler will appear in next week’s edition of The Collegian.