REVIEW: “2016: Obama’s America” is compelling but one-sided

Dinesh D’Souza’s film “2016: Obama’s America” successfully fulfills its purpose of providing scary, thought-provoking information to the public, but the highly controversial documentary limits itself to a very biased right-wing audience.

The film begins with a history of D’Souza, the conservative author of “The Roots of Obama’s Rage” and the director of the movie.

D’Souza was born in India and freed himself of the country’s unjust societal structure by attending Dartmouth University in the United States.

He describes his experiences in India in comparison to those in America and his political knowledge of countries both past and present.

This introduction to the “expert” is not for purposes of providing background information but rather to establish D’Souza as a credible source.

While definitely boasting knowledge of the political workings of Obama’s first term as president and of past presidencies, D’Souza lacks a personal relationship with Obama to accurately portray the president.

The second portion of the film revolves around Obama and his relationship with his father.

D’Souza loses his stance as the ideal critic in this portion of the documentary.  While D’Souza accurately depicts many of Obama’s policies and political trends, he begins to make assumptions about Obama and his father that aren’t credible.

Although ample evidence was provided to portray Obama’s father as an abandoner and a possibly communistic influence, there is no exact evidence to say that Obama plans to follow in his father’s footsteps.

The only evidence available can be found in Obama’s 2004 autobiography.  The book does exert a strong amount of patriarchal influence, but what the writer wants to convey in a book and what the reader interprets are two very different things.

D’Souza uses the book as well as contact with Obama’s family in Africa to make assumptions about Obama that are of little value to the undecided or left wing audience member.

The documentary then moves on from the past and the present to the future.

If the first half of the movie induced a bored slumber among audience members, shockingly accurate statistics and unearthed facts are sure to scare the audience back into attention.

The last half hour of the movie proves to be the most crucial in D’Souza’s argument that Obama hasn’t completed his desired transformation of the country yet but plans to in the future.

Fancy graphics and flashing numbers provide dynamic visuals for the audience as a calm yet tormented voice describes the economic, social and political trouble the nation will face.

D’Souza transforms from a skeptical and judgmental commentator to a worthy judge.

Facts and figures don’t lie, and D’Souza does an excellent job of conveying his point to the audience while providing logical arguments and contemplations of the future.

Unfortunately, these views will be wasted on many audience members.

In an audience filled with well-dressed Caucasian members of the older generation, appraisal ran high at the end of the movie.

While those of the right side are sure to find satisfaction that their disapproval of the current president is portrayed as correct, critics are sure to find fault with D’Souza’s logic.