Clowes brings the kitchen to campus

Photo courtesy of Clowes

If you’ve ever seen Iron Chef America, then you’ve seen men clad in eccentric costumes running around chopping the heads off fish.

Jonathon Sawyer, a sous chef on the show, won’t be chopping off any fish heads when he and celebrity chef Robert Irvine make their debut at Clowes Memorial Hall Nov. 16 for a charity cooking show.

Robert Irvine, who made a recent trip to Indianapolis to renovate the Snooty Fox on 86th Street, has an impressive slew of clients, including the Queen—that’s right—of England.

Irvine also hosts “Dinner: Impossible,” a show that challanges him to cook a meal under intense time and resource constraints.

Both men own and operate restaurants around the country, and they are coming to Butler as a part of “Clowes Off Center,” a new alternative lineup of events at the auditorium.

“These are events that don’t fall into our subscription package,” said Joshua Lingenfelter, director of marketing  for Clowes. “These will be anything from comedy to concerts to performance art.”

Part of the stage itself will be transformed into a kitchen, where the two chefs will perform a cooking demonstration.

The live cooking demo is projected to a large screen above the stage and features close up cameras for greater detail.

Before the show, a spot at the “Chef’s Table” will be auctioned. The winner will be able to partake in the evening’s meal.

All proceeds from the event benefit the Mozel Sanders Foundation, a not-for-profit organization that helps feed the elderly, medically confined and needy.

“Butler has had a long relationship with the foundation,” Lingenfelter said.

The foundation expects to deliver  nearly 40,000 meals for Thanksgiving, many of which will be prepared at Butler.

Neither celebrity chef was available for comment, but if you pay up, you’ll be able to meet them in person after the performance, which starts at 7:30. Bring your good intentions and a
fork.

Tickets are $40 or $175, depending on your seating preferences. The latter option will get you a VIP pass and an on-stage seat.