Loving your living space

Schrock uses warm lighting and floral decor in her Irvington dorm to create a cozy space where she and her friends can relax. Photo by Katerina Anderson.

JACK WILLIAMS | CULTURE CO-EDITOR | jrwilliams@butler.edu

Students’ living spaces, whether a dorm or a senior house, are the start and end of every day. They can serve as a refuge from the whirlwind of academia clamoring outside the door or as a gathering place for newly found friends. Each student’s home away from home differs not only in their aesthetic taste but in their purpose too.

The first challenge that most students face is living with a roommate, whom they may be meeting for the first time on move-in day. All of a sudden, two different definitions of organized have to co-exist within a single room.

Cadence Schrock, a first-year art + design and sports media double major, is open with her expectations for her Irvington double.

“Having shared a room with other people before helps me communicate my boundaries to my roommate,” Schrock said. “We work together to keep our stuff in our own spaces and be supportive of each other’s strengths and weaknesses.”

Schrock considers herself to be a meticulous organizer, which is reflected both in her plethora of Google Drive folders as well as her room. Everything has its proper place, from her school supplies to the Gilmore Girls quotes on her walls. However, she has also learned how to adapt.

“Be flexible and know that not everything’s going to be perfect. That can be hard to realize, but just remember that if it works for you, it’s good enough,” Schrock said.

Learning where to draw boundaries and when to bend them takes a lot of trial and error, but it pays off. After three years spent mostly in doubles or Greek houses, seniors are often excited to have the chance to lease a house and spread out all the knick-knacks they’ve accumulated.

For Ellie Howe, a senior entrepreneurship and marketing double major, changing housing each year taught her to set aside time for self-care.

“Going from Resco to a sorority house of about 70 girls was a big change,” Howe said. “I learned there are always people you can talk to, which is wonderful, but also how important it is to take time to decompress or hang out with someone that can recharge your social battery.” 

There can also be a strong pressure to make one’s room appear picture-perfect, like the equivalent of an I-woke-up-like-this photo on Instagram. Suddenly, nightstands have to be organized and desks have to be color-coded. Even those who enjoy cleaning and decorating can find themselves exhausted.

Lily Bea Foster, a sophomore psychology and sociology major, initially wrestled with perfectionism while decorating her room but eventually found her stride.

“Don’t go too crazy looking for inspiration because then your space represents the social norm of what a room should look like rather than what you want,” Foster said. “I’ve come to love my spaces more when I bring things from home that remind me of who I love.”

Finding a set of personal principles to organize one’s room around can help students focus on their own needs and goals, rather than the unrealistic expectations found on Pinterest or Instagram.

First-year Cadence Schrock organizes her dorm around the principles that it is a space that is comfortable, homey and authentic. It turns out that what she finds familiar and welcoming works for visitors as well.

“I have a cute stuffed bulldog in my room, and I noticed that when friends come over they tend to hold it and pet it,” Schrock said. “People find it super comforting; it reminds them of pets at home.”

Cultivating those connections to home is vital to feeling grounded in a new place. Whether it’s a stuffed animal, art from siblings or a photo wall, these little touches mean that a little bit of one’s family can join them at school. 

For Howe, home means a place she can host in. Not having roommates in her apartment is a refreshing change from past years, but she still wants to cultivate a feeling of community. To that end, she divided her picturesque dining room from the living room with a cozy red couch from her childhood home. 

“I love to entertain and have people over,” Howe said. “My family did a lot of gatherings around food and I’m making sure my space reflects that.”

She grew up having family dinners whenever it was possible. If her dad worked late or her brother had an afternoon activity, they would change dinner to a time everyone could make. Those memories mean that even if her family is in Minnesota, the familiar warmth of sharing a meal with friends brings her back. Flowers on the dining room table and photos of her dogs suffuse the whole house with reminders of home.

No matter how many mementos students bring with them, though, change is a constant. Howe has experienced that as she’s moved from dorm to dorm over the years. However, that change also brings opportunity. 

In her second year at Butler, Foster is looking forward to decorating for Halloween and Christmas. Watching the seasons pass while experiencing the nonstop schedule of a college student can be scary, but decorating for the holidays provides an opportunity to slow down and celebrate. Feeling comfortable and in control in one’s physical environment makes it easier to go out and thrive in a dynamic world.

“I love to watch how my lifestyle and interests change throughout the seasons, especially here at college, when you’re meeting so many people and doing so many things,” Foster said. “I’m excited to see how my space grows with me.”