Welcome to the Team: Women’s lacrosse edition

Emmie Ridgeway, Kate Katropsky and Luci Selander are three of ten newcomers to Butler women’s lacrosse. Photo by Grace Hensley.

SAM CARUS | SPORTS REPORTER | scarus@butler.edu

‘Welcome to the Team’ is a Q&A series where the Collegian sits down with first-year student-athletes who are entering their first season at Butler University. These articles will address why they chose Butler, what they hope to get out of this season and some personal tidbits that you won’t find anywhere else. 

This week, sports reporter Sam Carus spoke with three first-years who are playing for Butler’s women’s lacrosse team: Emmie Ridgeway, Kate Katropsky and Luci Selander.

Emmie Ridgeway

Emmie Ridgeway is a 5-foot-7-inch attacker/midfielder from Arlington, Virginia. Fun fact: In 2021, Ridgeway was on first team all-conference and second team all-region in high school. Photo by Grace Hensley.

Sam Carus: Since you have gotten to college and joined the team, how has your preparation changed in getting ready for games?

Emmie Ridgeway: I mean, I think I’ve always liked taking games pretty seriously, but getting to college I feel like there’s a lot more game prep like seeing the trainer and just kind of getting in the right mindset. Being a freshman playing seniors is really intimidating, but it’s definitely gotten easier with support from the team.

SC: What have you learned about yourself personally since joining the team at Butler, on or off the field? 

ER: I definitely like learning how to be a team player as well as having a better mindset when going on the field. I’ve definitely learned that I can push my body a lot more than I thought I could. And then also just a lot of self-confidence, especially with our team being extremely supportive. 

SC: In high school, you were kind of a dual player. How have you had to adjust or what’s the major difference you’ve seen at the college level?

ER: I think it’s just a lot more intense … the game is so much faster. When you get to college, it’s like you’re always on the move, especially adjusting to things like school and also playing sports. It’s a lot of time management and adjusting to the faster pace. 

SC: One word to describe your Butler experience so far?

ER: Exciting. It’s just like a whole new world here. I mean, [it has been] such an honor and a privilege just being able to play with people I love and getting close to them, living with them. And being a freshman there’s so much more to come. So super excited, especially [since we are getting close to] conference play. 

SC: Which teammate do you know you can always count on to be there for you?

ER: Caroline Ross we grew up in the same area so we kind of knew each other going to college but she’s definitely been my rock through it all. 

Kate Katropsky

Kate Katropsky is a 5’6 midfielder from Lake Bluff, IL. Fun fact: Her favorite memory from lacrosse is winning her high school conference championship. Photo by Grace Hensley.

Sam Carus: How important has it been for you personally to learn from the older players on the team about not what just to do on the field, but off the field too?

Kate Katropsky: I think the players on my team have been a great support system for me. I know I can trust them and go to them whenever I need. They’ve been the biggest people I look up to and I just know I can go to them. They’ve taught me a lot about what to do on the field. 

SC: Is there one opponent specifically that you’re looking forward to playing more than the rest?

KK: I’m looking forward to playing Xavier. I think they’re a very competitive team. I think we have a lot of talent. I think it’s a great matchup, and since they’re under the Big East, I think we’ve always been rivals with every one of our sports so I’m really excited to play them. We’re actually playing them very soon so it’s a game to look forward to.

SC: When did you know that you want to play Division I lacrosse?

KK:  I knew I wanted to play in high school. I started playing when I was 11 but I kind of got [more involved in] it when I was playing in high school. And my high school taught me a lot about playing lacrosse as did my club. My club was a great support system. They really pushed me to be the best player I could be. I really learned to be competitive on the lacrosse field. wanted to be competitive and play against the best players in the world.

SC: How do you think you’ve grown as a leader from your first year playing in high school to now?

KK: My junior and senior years of lacrosse in high school, I became a captain. I learned to lead a team and be also a team player and really how to support everyone on and off the field. Here, I’ve grown [as] a leader but also [still] look up to all my teammates on the field. 

Luci Selander

Luci Selander is a 5’4 midfielder from Inver Grove, Minnesota. Fun fact: Luci started playing varsity lacrosse in 8th grade. Photo by Grace Hensley. 

Sam Carus: Why did you feel Butler was the right fit for you?

Luci Selander: When I came to Butler, I really liked how it was like a small community. But I felt like it had more of a big school feel. Everyone was welcoming too and that was a big reason for my decision.

SC: What teammate do you think that at this point in the season you’ve developed the best chemistry with?

LS:  I think I’ve developed the best chemistry with my roommates and suitemates [Patricia] Lynn, Elise Latham and Kate Kaptrosky. I hang out with them the most. I go get dinner with them pretty much every night.

SC:  How do you keep yourself motivated to keep getting better when you have been playing at such a high level from a young age on varsity since eighth grade?

LS: I like to keep myself motivated by finding more competition, finding someone who is as motivated as me. There’s more lacrosse here than in Minnesota. So I guess that kept me more motivated.

SC: What is the biggest difference that you’ve noticed between the high school and college level?

LS: The biggest difference was the level of intensity, for sure, and how fast it moves, especially coming from playing Minnesota lacrosse. It’s just a much faster-paced game.

SC: What’s one word you would use to describe Coach Zentgraf?

LS: Motivated, because she wants the best in us and she always knows when we can keep putting in more effort and get to 100% and makes us push ourselves to go 100%. 

These interviews were edited for length and clarity.