Students and staff react as Starbucks faces supply shortage

Starbucks faces product shortages. Photo by Lauren Jindrich.

MADELINE SMITH | STAFF REPORTER | mgsmith1@butler.edu 

Starbucks has been a staple for students and staff since it was first brought to campus in 1999. Following its renovation earlier this year, the chain has been challenged with supply and staff shortages, affecting many who rely on the coffee joint as a key part of their day. 

Kimberly Klawitter, first-year philosophy, psychology and criminology triple major, began working as a barista at Starbucks this past August. 

“We’ve been having a lot of food shortages lately and issues with our trucks not coming or just not delivering things,” Klawitter said. “A lot of items of popular demand that typically run out fast are not only running out fast, but also staying out of stock for longer periods of time.” 

Through Butler Dining, all students receive a designated amount of Flex Dollars based on their selected meal plan. Flex Dollars are accepted at Starbucks, making it easy for students to stop in and order drinks.

Megan Steffens, a first-year Spanish and elementary education double major, is a frequent patron of Starbucks, but has found herself visiting less often due to food shortages. 

“It’s inconvenient, especially since I have the opportunity to spend [Flex Dollars] at Starbucks, but half of the time they’re out of certain drinks or foods,” Steffens said. 

Despite the supply shortage and student frustrations, Klawitter said she has not noticed a change in business. 

Isabelle Banet, a first-year criminology and psychology and mathematics double major, also joined the Starbucks staff this past August. While the supply shortage continues to rise, the staffing shortage is working to be resolved.

“We could always use extra workers because most of our staff are college students who have limited schedules,” Banet said. “That’s why we are always hiring.”

Starbucks is open from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on weekdays and from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on weekends.