How to Adult: Getting involved

Butler students attend College Mentors for Kids call out meeting. Photo by Miriam Rimawi.

ELLIE ALLEN  | ASSISTANT NEWS EDITOR |  emallen2@butler.edu 

Block party is over but call out meetings are just beginning, and if you are feeling overwhelmed with all of the different clubs signed up for, and then realized you couldn’t possibly fit them all in your schedule, the Butler Collegian is here to help. Here are some tips for finding organizations you care about.

Explore Your Options

There are over 130 clubs at Butler University. This means you have plenty of options to explore your passions.

Grace Langford, a senior actuarial science and Spanish major, is the vice president of internal for Butler University Dance Marathon. She said it’s important to try lots of organizations as a first-year.

“Start with a wide scope,” Langford said. “Go to many call out meetings. Join committees. Get involved. You’ll never know if you like something or not unless you invest at least a semester in something.”

Mohsin Waraich, a senior sports media major, is on the executive board of the Muslim Student Association. Waraich said to be open minded because you never know who you’ll meet or what you’ll find interesting.

“As years go by, as months go by, you’ll pick and choose what you really feel comfortable with,” Waraich said. “Then maybe along the way you’ll find some that you want to be president or vice president or just on the board for.”

Find Your Passions

A good place to start when looking through clubs is to think about your involvements in high school or interests that align with your major.

Kait Wilbur, a senior strategic communication major, is a member of the improv troupe, a writer for Her Campus, a collegiate blog, and was the president of Public Relations Student Society of America last year. Wilbur said you should try everything, but do not be afraid to stop participating in clubs that don’t make you happy.

“Find something that you really enjoy and stick with that,” Wilbur said. “Never get in too deep into something that doesn’t ultimately bring you joy, like if something brings you more stress than it brings you joy, get out of there.”

Prioritize Your Time

Although you may be tempted to try lots of clubs, it’s important to prioritize your time. Doing well in classes and taking care of your mental health is just as important as joining many organizations.

Nick Trifelos, a senior international business major, is president of College Mentors for Kids. Trifelos said it can be difficult to balance commitments, academics and a social life.

“I like to write things down, and I like to have a calendar, a paper calendar, where I can write and visualize to make sure I don’t forget about any engagements,” Trifelos said. “It’s just really important for me to give your all into everything you’re doing, and to make sure that you know no matter where you are, no matter what you’re doing, you’re always making a difference on someone.”

Prepare for Your Future

Another big factor in choosing what organizations to be a part of is how it will affect your future. Clubs and other commitments are aspects that employers will look at in your future.

Courtney Rousseau, a career advisor for Jordan College of the Arts and the College of Communication, said it is very important to get involved, but employers care more about quality involvements than quantity.

“It’s all about preference, and what you’re gaining from that experience,” Rousseau said. “Don’t join something just to build your resume. That’s never a right reason to do anything. Employers, from what I’ve heard from our employer board, would rather see you grow through a few organizations.”

In the next few weeks, most call out meetings will be occurring. Be sure to check your email, social media and even the chalk on the sidewalk for organizations you might want to join.