Butler cross country finish 2nd and 10th at the Commodore Classic

Seniors Bobby Johnson, Jonathan Collier and Matt Lumbar lead the way in the Butler Twilight meet on Sept. 1. Photo courtesy of Butlersports.com.

JOSH MULLENIX | STAFF REPORTER | jmulleni@butler.edu

Sophomore Euan Makepeace won the men’s 8km event with a time of 24  to lead Butler men’s cross country to a second place finish at the Commodore Classic in Nashville, Tennessee. Sophomore Josephine Thestrup (17:52.2) finished 11th to lead the women’s team.

The men’s team had five runners finish inside the top 20 which resulted in a team score of 68. Freshman Barry Keane (25:27.7) finished in 15th followed by sophomore Evan Johnson (25:36.6) and senior Matt Lumbar (25:37.6). Senior Bobby Johnson (25:40.2) finished 19th to round out Butler’s five scores.

Junior Johnny Leverenz and senior Johnathan Collier also ran for Butler finished 24th and 42nd respectively.

While Makepeace claimed the individual title, Middle Tennessee State University captured the team title with a team score of 64, beating the Bulldogs by four points. The Blue Raiders had four runners in the top 11.

The women’s team finished 10th as a team behind Thestrup’s top-15 performance. She was followed by freshmen Angelina Ellis (18:36.7) and Camille Hines (18:53.4) who finished in 57th and 68th respectively. Junior Grace Butkus (19:28.8) and sophomore Clare McCabe (19:39.9) rounded out the scoring five for the Bulldogs to give them a team total of 278.

Freshman Allison Miller, sophomore Kara Stark, and freshman Aiden Smith also ran for the Bulldogs.

Missouri’s Karissa Schweizer won the women’s event with a final time of 16:25.4. Ohio State won the team event with a team score of 60.

Butler cross country will be back in action at the Joe Piane Notre Dame Invitational on Sept. 29.