Do not go gentle into that good night

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

MARIA RAPISARDA | ASSIST. OPINION EDITOR | mrapisar@butler.edu

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas

The past week was a difficult and trying time for many. Last Wednesday, Americans woke to the news that Donald Trump was going to be the next president. For many, this was seen as a victory, but for the rest this was devastating.

Do not think that this is some political message of liberals being upset. Liberals are upset. But so are the groups of people Trump singled out over the past 18 months. To them, this is not Democrat versus Republican. This is life versus death.

If you believe these groups are being dramatic, I am sorry you feel that way; but, it is not up to you to decide when they are or are not allowed to feel their life is being threatened.

To those who are upset, angered and scared, I compiled a list of resources to help cope and keep fighting the good fight.

Donate

Donations are a wonderful way to get your voice heard, and it provides an opportunity for organizations to make a difference.

Volunteer

I had the pleasure of working with Tennessee Immigrant and Refugee Rights Coalition this summer, which enabled me to help make a difference for undocumented and documented refugees and immigrants.

I highly recommend getting out there and interacting with organizations that provide help to disenfranchised groups.

Care for Yourself

It is important that you take care of your emotional stability as well as protecting your person. Your professors should understand this necessity as well, so if you need to take a day or four to deal with this, here are resources that can help.

• The Trevor Project, an organization with countless resources for LGBTQIA+ people to receive help of any kind
  • The Quiet Place Project, a website designed to help you relax and decompress
  • MindShift, an app that helps those struggling with anxiety, stress and panic
  • Indiana Youth Group, a group dedicated to helping LGBTQIA+ youths looking for support and community
  • Indianapolis Humane Society, it is helpful to many (including myself) to be able to interact with animals, so look into your local Humane Society’s hours to get some fur love
  • Butler Counseling Center, for Butler students, this is a free way for you to receive help with any and all issues you may be dealing with

Attend events

Attending events is a great way to get active in the community and show your displeasure respectfully.

If you choose to attend events please remember to be respectful and remain honorable in your actions and words; most importantly stay safe in everything you go to. Be in touch with active members in the community to know when and where an event will be happening and be sure not to go alone.

Finally, I want to provide a list of numbers to call if you ever feel like it is too much for you to handle. These are judgement-free zones where the jobs of the people on the other line are to help you.

Nuvo has a more extensive list of things to do and attend, and BuzzFeed provides a list of mental health resources. Thank you to them and to all the people who gave me organizations and resources I could include in this article.

Remember we are one country, and while you are entitled to feel everything you are feeling, we cannot let the divisive nature come between us as a nation. In the always enlightening words of First Lady Michelle Obama, “When they go low, we go high.”

Feel free to share this article with any and everyone who needs it, and for those who may not understand why these need to be shared, remain respectful of what others are going through.