Trends that need to die in 2016

JENNA VORIS | OPINION COLUMNIST

Last week I came across an article from Cosmopolitan’s website titled “21 Beauty Trends That Need to Die in 2015.”

I decided to see what the article had to say, wondering why a magazine who catered to women was seemingly bashing trends that female celebrities wore.  Cosmopolitan condemned everything from long lashes, to high ponytails, to nail art.

I was inspired by Cosmo’s daring and decided to put together a list of my own.

Here are seven trends that need to end in 2016.

Being rude to servers

Instead of blaming servers for a busy shift, try chilling out and realizing that they probably don’t have control over the situation.  The same goes for the baristas at the Starbucks on campus. Coffee is basically the life source and blood of college students everywhere. Being rude to a barista because they didn’t give enough whip only ends up hurting the coffee drinker in the long run.  

Taxing feminine hygiene products

Minnesota, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and New Jersey are the only states that currently don’t have a tax on tampons.  The other states either do not have a sales tax or still impose additional fees on products that every woman knows are a necessity.  

Additional tips on making this trend a thing of the past?  

Asking college girls when they are going to get married

Getting a degree or a ring shouldn’t have to be a choice – girls can do both. But if senior year rolls around and every female student is asked about her future marital plans, it seems to invalidate their hard work in school.  If an unmarried, successful businesswoman is annoying, I would suggest reconsidering some priorities.

Supporting Donald Trump

I have a theory that there are no real Donald Trump supporters – just people who back him as a joke.  From proposing cuts to the already small education budget to suggesting that Mexico pay to build a wall along the southern border of the United States, it’s not hard to admit that he seems ridiculous. All humor aside, let’s leave Trump – and his hair – in 2015. There are better, brighter things in the future.

Not voting

I will be the first to admit that my generation has the worst voter turnout.  In 2014, the midterm voter turnout sunk the lowest it had been in 72 years.  In Indiana, less than 30 percent of voters turned up to actually cast a ballot.  If my Facebook feed is full of everyone’s political opinions and rants about how much they want change, I think it is time to start putting our money where our mouth is. And by money, I mean vote.

Happy Mother/Father’s Day Instagram posts

It is inevitable when spring rolls around: suddenly my Instagram timeline is clogged with collages of people with their mothers. The son or daughter posts about how great she is and how much she inspires them to be a better person.  

The kicker? Mom doesn’t even have an Instagram. As we move into 2016, try something new: actually telling your parents how much they mean to you.

Judging people on what they wear

What Cosmopolitan – and several other magazines – do not seem to realize is that everyone is different. No two people are exactly alike, meaning that a trend or hairstyle that does not work for one girl might work for another.

Publishing an article that singles out individuals’ traits and tells those people that what they look like is wrong is definitely a trend we should leave in the past.