Kappa Kappa Gamma fundraises for Reading is Fundamental

GABBY MOLINE | STAFF REPORTER

Butler University’s chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma celebrated the fall season while raising money for Reading is Fundamental at their annual event Kappa Harvest.

Standing on the front lawn of the Kappa Kastle, sisters of Kappa Kappa Gamma greeted and welcomed visitors to their home on Oct. 21. As the guests moved inside, girls wearing “Keeping it Klassy” shirts ushered them to the dining room, where the evening’s event took place.

A sign shows visitors where to go.

The aroma of freshly baked pies and apple cider filled the air. Visitors had the choice of apple, pecan or pumpkin pie to purchase. If a person donated a book to Coburn Place, a shelter for victims of domestic violence, he or she received apple cider for free.

“I missed having apple cider and apple pie at home,” first year Courtney Kangas said. “It makes me feel at home.”

The sisters of Kappa Kappa Gamma serve pie and cider during their philanthropy event.

People sat at tables, ate pie, drank cider and listened to music all for a great cause. 

“This is really good work for their philanthropy,” first-year Spencer Graczyk said. “It’s a good way to raise money for it [Reading is Fundamental].”

Kappa’s philanthropy chair Madeline Koenig said all the proceeds of the event will go to Reading is Fundamental, Kappa’s national philanthropy that promotes child literacy. 

“Another thing we do with Reading is Fundamental is we volunteer around the community and we go and read and tutor kids,” she said. 

Reading is Fundamental was established in 1966 to educate the next generation of readers, especially those in low-income areas, according to its website. This, in turn, will help lower the rate of 93 million adult Americans who read at or below the basic reading level to contribute to society.

Overall, Kappa Harvest raised almost $500 for Reading is Fundamental to inspire children through books.