STAFF EDITORIAL: No block party? Now what do we do?

Our point THIS WEEK:

Students should not wait for Block Party to get involved

Block Party, a Butler tradition where around 140 student organizations assemble to promote campus involvement, was canceled twice due to rain.

Fortunately, Caroline Huck-Watson, the director of the programs for leadership and service education office, had a backup plan.

On Monday, Sept. 8, a program called Week of Involvement was introduced by the PuLSE office in order to effectively fill the void that was left by Block Party’s two cancellations.

Each day of the Week of Involvement, Huck-Watson said, will be geared toward a particular group of official organizations.

For example, Friday, Sept. 12, will be set aside for special interest clubs, such as Alliance, Amnesty International and the Butler Dance Team.

But, while the Week of Involvement may be a good start, the absence of Block Party will be difficult to overcome.

Block Party is a great event because of two specific reasons.

On one hand, the event adds to the overall festivities of Welcome Week.

Freshman, Anthony Murdock hoped to introduce himself to representatives from Student Government Association, club basketball, Black Student Union and the Pre-Law Society during Block Party.

He planned to attend Block Party, so he took time away from his off-campus job.

Murdock and everyone else had to miss out on Block Party, an event designed to develop a student’s college experience.

In the end, however, Murdock was able to build enough connections, and he is now pursuing the organizations of his choice.

“You are your greatest motivator, and you are your greatest obstacle,” said Murdock. “I knew I wanted these opportunities, so I went after them.”

Students also celebrate Block Party because of how well it fits into many of their schedules.

The university usually holds Block Party before classes begin, before students have to manage tricky schedules in order to fulfill their duties.

The Week of Involvement, however, will occur during classes. Not all students can find the time to meet every organization they may want to.

If this is the case, students cannot rely on the PuLSE office to learn about all of Butler’s student  organizations. In order for students to get involved outside of the classroom, they must show an initiative similar to Murdock’s.

Student organizations are happy to have people interested in their clubs. If you want to learn about the group and how you can become involved, there are various ways to do so.

Most campus organizations have Facebook, Twitter and other social media accounts designed to reach all students, especially incoming freshman.

If you cannot attend the Week of Involvement, find a different way to contact the clubs you wish to join. Whether that is through social media, campus emails, word-of-mouth or stopping at the PuLSE office in Atherton Union 101.

The point of getting involved is to enhance a student’s experience in and out of the classroom.

Academics, Huck-Watson said, goes hand-in-hand with joining clubs.

These aren’t simply extra-curricular activities designed to throw on a resume and forget. The point is to grow as a person and develop necessary leadership skills.

Make the effort, make the push, make your mark and you will reap the benefits.

Photo courtesy of Annie Thorndyke

Photo courtesy of Annie Thorndyke