Students have options to keep information private

MARAIS JACON-DUFFY
NEWS EDITOR

Junior Katie Reed said she was initially shocked when people began telling her about a large picture of her playing soccer hanging in a building on campus.
“I had never even seen this picture,” Reed said. “But I was curious as to what it looked like and what it was. When I finally saw it, I thought it was a really cool picture.”
Reed said the picture of her playing soccer hanging on Butler’s campus didn’t offend her or make her feel uncomfortable.
However, not all students are as comfortable as Reed is with sharing their images or information.
Butler allows students the opportunity to keep their information private if they make arrangements with Registration and Records, Admissions or Student Affairs.
In Section XXII of the student handbook under ‘The University’s Right to Publish or Release Student Information’, the handbook states “Any student wishing to prevent the release of the categories of directory information listed above can do so by filling out and signing, within 10 days of the first class day of the academic year, a form available in the Registration and Records Office.”
Unless a student makes arrangements prohibiting the release of his or her information, Butler will exercise its right to publish the information, according to the handbook.
“In order to compile and publish honors lists, programs, student directories, yearbooks, news releases and similar publications that traditionally serve the best interest of the student, Butler has the right to release, for reasons deemed legitimate, information about any Butler student unless that student has requested otherwise,” Section XXII of the handbook states.
Vice President for Student Affairs Levester Johnson said students who want to keep their information private can indicate this before starting college or during their college career. Depending on the request, Butler can sometimes remove information after it has been published.
“With something like the website or pictures around campus, it’s a little easier to get rid of those if a student wants them taken down,” Johnson said. “But if something has already been published, distributed, printed or mailed, it’s a little harder to get rid of it.”
Johnson said students may, for example, want to keep their information private because of happenings in their community or because of a bad divorce in the family.
“With a privacy issue like this, Student Affairs or whatever campus department is most involved will assess the weight of the issue, examine the best process for keeping the information private and will follow up with the student to make sure the issue is resolved,” Johnson said.
Reed said the display of her image on campus actually made her fonder of Butler after transferring from the University of Illinois.
“I felt like athletes at U of I received a lot more recognition through posters and bulletins around campus, and I don’t think Butler athletes receive much recognition at all unless they’re on the basketball team,” Reed said. “So hearing that a soccer image of myself was used was somewhat shocking but also exciting.”