One Billion Rising suggests dancing in protest tomorrow

American playwright Eve Ensler, the author of the play “The Vagina Monologues,” has called upon women across the world to stand up and dance in a protest against rape, sexual assault and domestic violence Thursday.

History will be created as one billion people will rise up and dance in unison.

Senior Kate Langdon said violence against women is not portrayed in the media and this protest will help end the silence.

Men and women will gather together in 197 different countries to bring light to the issue.

In most locations, people have learned the choreography for a flash mob routine. Butler University will not be doing this, but many students will gather and dance on the Atherton Mall from 12:45 until    1 p.m. that day.

The Butler percussion ensemble will play, creating a sound that will permeate campus, Langdon said.

“We want to get as much of the Butler community involved as possible,” she said. “We are making history. This type of movement is unprecedented.

“It feels empowering for the student population, and they have an opportunity to put a stamp on history.”

Junior Colleen Quilty said the event is important because some people may feel like Butler is safe in its bubble, but cases of sexual assault can occur anywhere.

One in three women are sexually assaulted or beaten, and Quilty said this movement will bring reality to campus.

“The culture on college campuses is that you are here to get a degree and then a job, but you should be here to learn about the world,” Quilty said. “One in three women is a huge number. It’s a problem everywhere.”

On past Valentine’s Days, Ensler has called on women to read “The Vagina Monologues” and call Valentine’s Day “V-Day”.

Now, she is imploring the world to rise together in dance and protest.

Such a movement has not happened on such a large scale before. Women around the world have not joined together in this way because they are often fighting for different rights in their respective countries.

However, sexual assault is an issue everywhere, so women as well as men are collaborating globally for the first time to bring awareness.

Sophomore Allysa Royse said she is excited to have an event on campus because women are making progress in achieving equality, but much must still be done in the United States and throughout the world.

Quilty said it is important this event be held on Valentine’s Day.

“Valentine’s Day is about loving people and is a beautiful day,” she said. “We should spread that love from heterosexual couples to love and respect of women throughout the world.”

Across the globe tomorrow, one billion people will rise up and dance, creating history.