JCA presents Lyric Theatre and ‘Bali Dream’

The Jordan College of the Arts is gearing up to present a Lyric Theatre performance and “Bali Dream” at Butler University this weekend.

Lyric Theatre is presenting its first performance of the semester. The student singers are participating in a night full of opera scenes.

A 27-piece orchestra will back up fun and recognizable scenes from operas like “Don Giovanni” by Mozart and “La Traviata” by Verdi.

Lyric Theatre is a class offered each semester. Any student from any major is welcome to audition.

Students perform a program of scenes during the fall semester and a full production in the spring.

“If you’re a singer, we would be delighted to have you,” said Thomas Studebaker, assistant voice professor and director of Lyric Theatre. “The more the merrier.”

“Bali Dream” is a play performed by the Butler theatre department. The production is based off Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” but is presented in Balinese style.

I Nyoman Sedana, the 2012 Christel DeHaan Visiting International Theatre Artist, is directing the play. He mixed some of his Balinese traditions with the original play and said he does not use the story exactly how it was originally written.

“Dr. Sedana is very much interested in exploring the aspects of the fairy world, the imbalance,” theatre department chair William Fisher said.

Because of the Bali traditions entwined in the show, there are many different elements throughout the production normally not  associated with American theatre.

Some characteristics are Balinese puppetry, mask performances and very  stylized dancing.

English and Balinese singing will also be woven into the show.

“We have the good fortune of having a gamelan—a Balinese orchestra,” Fisher said.

“I really like the gamelan music,” said Zach Heider, a theatre student in the production. “There’s something about music playing behind us while we speak. I mean, it’s kind of spooky, but it adds a really nice accent.”

Fisher is encouraging Butler students to attend the performance, in part because of the way Sedana is approaching it.

“It’s interesting to see a production that is both rooted in the most important tradition in our theatre—Shakespeare—side by side with traditions which are Bali,” Fisher said. “This production is a real experimentation in the kind of ridge between Eastern and Western traditions.”

Heider said the event may interest students because it does not necessarily give off a Shakespearean vibe.

“A lot of elements are not Shakespearean, if that freaks you out,” Heider said. “There are even commentaries in everyday language, and it’s funny. Everyone loves to laugh.”

The Lyric Theatre event is free.

“Bali Dream” previews are free to students while tickets to the regular performances are $5 with a student ID.

Ticket reservations are available online at www.butler.edu/theatre/productions/reservations.

LYRIC THEATRE

Nov. 2 and 3 at 7 p.m. in Lilly Hall 328.

BALI DREAM

Preview performances on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1 at 7 p.m.

Performances run from Nov. 2 through Nov. 11 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Friday and Saturday performances are at 8 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m. in Lilly Hall 168.