OPINION | Greek houses should evaluate safety concerns

On Butler University’s campus, there is little separating Greek life from the rest of campus.

Bigger campuses often have Greek Row located far away from academic buildings.

This is not the case on Buler’s campus, nestled in the tightly packed Butler-Tarkington neighborhood.

Safety concerns in the past have caused issues for members of some chapters, as well as the university.

Whether an “unwanted person” is trying to gain entry to a Greek house or chapter members are creating an unsafe environment, these safety issues must be addressed.

Butler Greek chapters must work on improving security and maintaining a safe environment in their houses.

They need to do this to stay out of trouble and to make sure that no Butler student or visitor is harmed.

Along with recent security issues on campus, safety on college campuses has been highlighted in the last several months by events around Indiana.

Both the Intensified College Enforcement program being implemented by the Indiana State Excise Police and the death of Purdue University freshman Xavier Somerville, in Indianapolis, are instances that show the importance of good security on and around college campuses.

Somerville was a party with underage drinking when he fell off a fifth-floor balcony of an Indianapolis apartment while trying to evade the police.

While accidents can occur anywhere, members of Greek chapters are largely responsible for security in their chapter houses.

Every chapter has some sort of house “mom” or “dad” that counsels it on matters including house maintenance and security.

“Maintenance, orderliness and cleanliness are the cornerstones of safety,” said Jody Springer, the house director of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority on campus.

“Our physical safety is protected by a good security system.”

The sorority uses a finger- scanning system at its entrances.

Sophomore JoJo Gentry, a member of the Delta Gamma fraternity on campus, said that she believes Butler’s Greek system is responsible for making sure that people who socialize in Greek chapter houses are safe.

“Letting non-Butler students into the houses can be risky,” Gentry said.  “Only include people you know will respect the house, as well as themselves.”

“Butler Bubble” is a phrase often used to describe the closeted feeling on Butler’s campus.

Still, Becky Druetzler, director of Greek life, warns Butler students that there is an outside world.

“In an area like Butler, we’re not completely isolated from society,” Druetzler said.

“Outsiders may come soliciting or to try and gain entry to chapter houses,” she said. “With so many people in small areas and so many valuable items like laptops and cell phones around, theft is a possibility.”

Butler Greek chapters should do an evaluation of their security and improve upon weak areas.

Nobody wants to be responsible for property being stolen,  someone going to the hospital or worse.