LETTER TO THE EDITOR | Greek system divides students

Let it be known that this is not a letter written out of bitterness from a wannabe-Greek student. This is written to finally provide a legitimate, objective criticism of the social Greek system at Butler. Note the use of the word system; this is not a letter to criticize people within the system.
The Greek system is exclusive. Period. Only so many students can be in each house, and only certain students can be in each house. Exclusivity destroys unity and creates divisions.
The Greek system also constructs artificial friends and foes. While genuine relationships can be made within Greek organizations, the system set up the structure for these relationships.
The structure of the Greek system, by way of exclusive houses and continual competitions, establishes an environment where rivalries thrive. As much of campus life revolves around the social Greek system and most of Butler’s student body is not Greek, Butler is divided.
The social Greek system is Butler’s most negative aspect. Butler’s student body would be much better off—united and active­—if the social Greek system did not exist.
Yes, the Greek system does great philanthropic work, gives students many activities in which to be involved, and is an effective social network. But at what cost? What sort of system supports these things? A system built on judgment, artificial social constructs, and exclusivity.
Philanthropic work, campus activities, and social networking can exist without the Greek system. Butler could have a happier, healthier student body without the social Greek system.

Concerned Student
Junior