Women’s golf finishes second at first spring competition

The Butler women’s golf team began its spring season in strong form with a second place finish among a 10-team field in Birmingham, Ala.

Three Bulldogs—sophomore Julia Porter, junior Clare Cornelius and junior Michele Nash—finished in the top 10 at the two-day Ann Rhodes Invitational, which was played at the Oxmoor Valley Golf Course February 27-28.

Porter led all Bulldogs with a two-day 155 (78, 77), which placed her second overall and four shots behind the University of Montevallo’s Emily Gibson (73, 81).

Cornelius supported with a 160 (83, 77) and placed fifth overall, while Nash finished tied for ninth at 162 strokes (81, 81).

The University of West Florida, which also had three players in the top 10, overcame a first-day, one-stroke Butler lead to win the competition by three strokes.

The University of Indianapolis also made the trip down to the South and placed third overall, 13 strokes behind Butler.

Butler women’s golf will use its Spring Break in Jacksonville, Fla., where they’ll first face Cleveland State on March 12. Two days later, the team will start another two-day event, the Benbow Invitational, before rounding out their “vacation” with a two-day meet against IUPUI, Eastern Illinois and Green Bay.