Anticipating this year’s Visiting Writers Series

Butler University’s Visiting Writers Series provides a vibrant community filled with many opportunities to evolve as a writer, scholar or individual. Photo courtesy of Butler University.

RACHEL JOYCE | STAFF REPORTER | rljoyce@butler.edu

In the ever-evolving world of literature, one thing will always remain constant: the importance of community. Writers and readers, both aspiring and seasoned, thrive when there are opportunities to come together and connect on a deeper level. Even those without any interest in the literary world can benefit from a community that fosters creativity and insight. 

Since 1986, Butler University’s Vivian S. Delbrook Visiting Writers Series (VWS) has hosted numerous annual literary events, bringing a vital community aspect to campus. These events are free to Butler students and faculty, as well as Indianapolis residents.

To kick off this year’s VWS, Emma Perez, a junior English and political science major, introduced Pulitzer prize-winning novelist Hernan Diaz at the Schrott Center for the Arts on Sept. 17 for a public reading and panel. The opportunity to hear from Diaz and other writers in person has helped her feel increasingly connected to others through literature. 

“It’s interesting because you read a book, and you know there’s a person behind it,” Perez said. “But the Visiting Writers Series lets you put a personality to the name … seeing them in person and [noticing] their mannerisms and the way that they speak about their work is really something else. It really connects you to people.”

Hearing an author discuss their work in person creates a shared artistic experience. While reading inspires growth, the chance to directly engage with a writer’s intentions offers a more permanent shift in perspective. This connection makes any themes and experiences beyond the literary piece more tangible. 

Connection is even more rewarding when it strengthens unique voices. 

Ania Spyra, a professor in the English Department and creative coordinator of next year’s VWS, is most proud of the representation found within the series. 

“[Looking] at our series, [we see that] it’s very diverse … One of the writers I’m most excited about this semester is Eden Robinson, who is an Indigenous writer coming from Canada,” Spyra said. “[As a] world literature professor, I love reading about experiences that are different from my own, histories that are different and places that are different. To see that representation … just makes me very excited.” 

This year’s VWS features five distinct writers, each highlighting their creative talent through a wide range of work, including poetry, essays and novels. Following Hernan Diaz’s visit, Shane McCrae, a Whiting and Lannan Literary Award winner, will be coming to Butler this October, along with Eden Robinson, an award-winning Indigenous storyteller. In November, Aisha Sabatini Sloan, a Lambda Literary Award winner, and Emmy-winning Kwame Dawes, a Jamaican poet and writer, will also be visiting to share their talent and insight. 

First-year English major Joey Davenport was not familiar with most of the authors featured this semester. She felt that these upcoming events could introduce her to new interpretations of the literary world and beyond, strengthening her belief in the importance of hearing from writers she would not have previously sought out. 

“As great as it is to see a name that you’re familiar with, I think it’s more important for Butler to handpick authors that fit the message [students may need],” Davenport said. “I mean, we’re finding our place in the world. We’re trying to gain our footing and discover who we are as people … and I think it’s so imperative that Butler picks authors who aren’t just big names … but who also have an important message behind them that they can teach to us as a community.”

Students are often overwhelmed by academic and social pressures, leaving little room for self-discovery. The constant need to maintain high grades, meet deadlines and earn acceptance from peers can create a narrow mindset, keeping focus on immediate goals rather than long-term fulfillment. 

However, the VWS allows students to access that discovery. Writers often share experiences that are relevant to students, like building identity or advocating for change. Diverse authors that offer both relatable and unique experiences through engaging panels can expand students’ perspectives while empowering them to embrace an uncertain future with curiosity instead of dread. 

Whether connecting with others through literature, appreciating diverse voices or discovering authors that broaden perspectives, Butler University’s VWS provides a vibrant community filled with many opportunities to evolve as a writer, scholar or individual.    

Those interested in learning more about the VWS can visit the Butler Arts Center web page.