Reversing the stigma around periods

It’s time to silence the noise around menstrual cramps. Graphic by Chelsea Copeland.

CHELSEA COPELAND | OPINION COLUMNIST | ccopeland@butler.edu 

Society has deemed period pain to be normal, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Despite the fact that the pain associated with menstrual cramps is normalized, the effects of intense cramping have been minimized quite frequently, especially in professional settings. People who menstruate are expected to act as though the agonizing cramps they experience are nonexistent when in some cases the pain is unbearable. Nothing about the violent stabs is invalid; even though the pain is not visible, it doesn’t mean it’s not real.

I am certain that those who menstruate have heard the degrading comment, “It’s just cramps.” Over the years, painful period cramps have become normalized; this idea is simply incorrect. Period cramps themselves are normal to a certain extent, but the excruciating pain that they are often associated with is not.

Pharmacy professor Veronica Vernon has found that she can use her background as a gynecologic pharmacist to break the stigma surrounding menstrual pain. While breaking this stigma, she utilizes her knowledge to bring to light what is actually normal while being on a menstrual cycle.

“Pain is such a misnomer,” Vernon said. “It should be called period discomfort. That’s what’s normal, but when it’s getting to the level of pain, that’s what warrants further investigation.”  

Just as Vernon explained, cramps shouldn’t be excruciating to begin with. Mild cramps are caused by a hormone released during a menstrual cycle called progesterone. Progesterone causes the mild cramping or tightness that you are supposed to feel during your menstrual cycle, but progesterone does not cause the misery that has been portrayed to be normal.

I fell victim to the idea that periods were supposed to be agonizing. There were days when I was unable to move as my right ovary felt like a ball of fire, yet I believed that it was normal. I was trapped in a body that felt like it was exploding — yet I had to go to school, work and athletics. I was expected to bear it all with a smile on my face, pretending like this pain didn’t exist. 

But, it did exist. 

There would be times when I would be incapacitated on the floor unable to function, but after an hour I would force myself to fulfill my responsibilities and shove my health aside.

Maxie Gardner, the director of health services and registered nurse, elaborated on the importance of not only paying attention to the pain experienced during a menstrual cycle but also the significance of taking action if the pain becomes too extreme.

“Pain is very individualized to the person,” Gardner said. “There are things that you should consult with a physician, and if it’s severe pain where [where you can’t function] and it’s interfering with your daily life, you absolutely need to seek medical care in those situations.” 

In situations where menstrual cramping becomes unbearable, it is vital to seek medical attention because extreme and violent pains can signify underlying medical issues. In my case, I had ovarian cysts and the agonizing jolts on my right side stemmed from some of the cysts bursting. Instead of realizing my pain wasn’t normal, I believed that this was just a part of menstruating.

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), endometriosis, ovarian cysts and other conditions that can affect your menstrual cycle can be overlooked by individuals with periods since they have been taught that suffering is expected. 

When it comes to menstruation in general, there is an extreme lack of education. Educating people on menstruation can debunk the socially accepted perspectives on period cramps as well as periods. This will reduce how prominent the false perceptions on periods that are in society, as well as spread more awareness on menstrual conditions.

“Education is always the best way to help others learn about their bodies,” Gardener said. “It’s a totally normal, natural process to have [monthly cycles]. With education, people will feel empowered to make [the] right decisions and when that happens you truly see that stigma, the taboo, [dissipate] with more education.”

Living with a condition that is constantly overlooked is more than a struggle. Even the most minuscule tasks seem challenging, but being on your period is seen as an invalid excuse. You are expected to be as bubbly, productive and efficient as though the intense throbbing pain adds no difficulty.

Madeline Fyffe, a first-year secondary education and history double major, opened up about her experience living with PCOS, and the challenges that come with this condition.

“[Period pain] makes it difficult to even get up in the morning,” Fyffe said. “It sucks away all of your energy and you’re just too focused on [the pain] to think about school, doing chores or anything like that.” 

Menstrual pain can be so extreme that it consumes your thoughts. The tasks that are usually simplistic become difficult when they are clouded with an overwhelming sense of pain. Oftentimes, the increase in difficulty is not accepted as valid reasoning, and the pain people experience is often downplayed.

“I think it’s extremely important that we do not minimize people and what they’re experiencing,” Gardener said. “[Pain] is very individualized and we just want our students to know here at Butler University Health Services that we do have resources and when in doubt, call and talk to one of our nurses.” 

The effects of the people diminishing my pain are what made me believe that my agony was normal and something I just had to work through. At 18 years old I have four scars from the surgery on my abdomen that depict the effects of my dismissal. I am not ashamed of what happened, or the fact that I had ovarian cysts. Reflecting on this makes me realize that if I had acted upon my gut instinct that something was wrong, surgery wouldn’t have been my only option. 

Educating people on menstruation is the only way to stop the stigma around periods from continuing to spread. Increasing education on what cramps are, will not only prevent the dismissal of painful conditions, but it will also eliminate the idea that people are supposed to work through their pain.