Center for Global Education hosts study abroad fair

Students attended the fair to learn about various study-abroad options. Photo by Bella VanMeter.

TESSA FACKRELL | STAFF REPORTER | tfackrell@butler.edu

More than 350 students gathered in the Reilly Room for the Study Abroad Fair on Oct. 4. Students walked through an array of booths advertising global destinations and had the opportunity to talk with program directors as well as students who have previously gone abroad. 

Maggie Sapyta, a sophomore theatre arts administration major, was at the Study Abroad Fair telling students about her experience last year during the three-week-long theatre and arts immersion program in London that she attended. 

Sapyta said her trip abroad expanded her artistry and exposed her to the vibrant theatre appreciation in London. She wants to live abroad again and is even considering doing the same program for a second year. 

“[Studying abroad] is a great opportunity to further your own learning and figure out why you’re in the program that you want to be in because there’s so much to learn from other countries and other cities,” Sapyta said. 

The Center for Global Education sent about 700 students abroad each year before COVID-19, Calie Dickey, the associate director for study abroad, said. Although the number of students going abroad dropped during the pandemic, Dickey said they are almost back to pre-pandemic numbers. 

“I would say that this semester is really the first time it’s felt like we’re really back to what we were seeing pre-COVID, so it’s really exciting to see everybody turning out and learning about their study abroad options,” Dickey said. 

The CGE offers faculty-led programs, exchange programs and even internship opportunities abroad. There are destinations on six continents and in more than 50 countries. 

Students can also stay in the United States and spend a semester in Los Angeles, New York City or Washington, D.C. for internship and learning experiences. 

Dickey wants students to know that they can travel abroad regardless of their major, and that the CGE offers scholarships and aid to help students go abroad. 

“I think that the biggest thing we have in our office is just letting students know that, first off, students of any major can study abroad, whether it’s our full semester or for a short-term period,” Dickey said. “We just want everybody to be able to access this experience.”

Leslie Luong, a junior P1 pharmacy major, has already signed up for the Mediterranean diet program to Italy, as well as the healthcare delivery program in London. She said these credits will go towards her pharmacy major. 

“It’s mostly going towards my professional elective credits for pharmacy,” Luong said. Students can access specific financial information on the study abroad website. It is also encouraged that students talk with their advisors to help find a program that is right for their major and requirements before settling on a program.