Butler’s cross country teams travel to Oklahoma for the Pre-Nationals meet

Redshirt sophomore Jesse Hamlin runs during a men’s cross country meet. Photo courtesy of Butler Athletics.

TEDDY WYNARD | SPORTS REPORTER | twynard@butler.edu

Butler’s women and men cross country teams traveled to Stillwater, Okla. to partake in the Weis-Crockett Invitational. This event served as the Pre-Nationals event for NCAA cross country.

For the men, who ran an 8k, grad student Barry Keane took second place in the event with a time of 23:30.7. Also finishing in the top 10 for Butler was redshirt sophomore Jesse Hamlin who ran a time of 23:25.7 to take fifth place.

The Bulldogs then had four runners in the 24-minute range. Sophomore Matthew Forrester took 21st place with a time of 24:03.4, grad student Evan Byrne took 26th with a time of 24:08.8, redshirt junior Jack McMahon ran a time of 24:31.1 which gave him 47th place and redshirt sophomore Will Minnette took home 75th place with a time of 24:50.0.

Rounding out the Butler runners were redshirt sophomore Liam Dennis with a time of 25:17.3 which was good for 112th place and redshirt sophomore Ryan Adkins was good for 125th place with a time of 25:23.0.

Overall, it was a third-place finish for the Bulldogs against one of the best competitive fields they have seen all season.

For the women, who ran a 6k, redshirt senior Mia Beckham took 34th place with a time of 21:34.9 and following her was redshirt sophomore Abby Olson ran a time of 21:56.2 to take 60th place.

In the 22-minute range for the women were redshirt sophomore Katherine Olsen with a time of 22:07.9 which placed her 78th overall, sophomore Ashlyn Minton took 105th place with a time of 22.25.4, redshirt freshmen Lexi Affolter ran a 22.29.0 which put her in 108th and redshirt sophomore Morgan Werner took 118th place running a time of 22.36.1.

The final finisher for the women was redshirt freshman Ashley Learn who ran a time of 23:44.8 which placed her in 187th.

Both teams will head to Urbana-Champaign, Ill. to partake in the Illinois Invitational on Oct. 21.