Butler women’s and men’s cross country teams traveled to Notre Dame for high level meet

Barry Keane runs during the Joe Piane Invitational this past weekend. Picture courtesy of Butler Athletics.

TEDDY WYNARD | SPORTS REPORTER | twynard@butler.edu

Butler’s men’s cross country team took sixth place at the Joe Piane Invitational this past Friday while the women’s team took 14th at the same meet.

For the men, their three highest finishers were grad student Barry Keane who came in ninth with a time of 23:30.2, redshirt sophomore Jesse Hamlin ran a time of 23:44.0 to take 16th and taking 24th for the Bulldogs was sophomore Matthew Forrester who had a time of 23:52.6.

The squad had four finishers in the 24 minute range with redshirt junior Jack McMahon finishing 55th with a time of 24:15.2, grad student Evan Byrne ran a time of 24:29.7 to take 76th place, running a time of 24:30.2, redshirt sophomore Will Minnette took 78th place and redshirt sophomore Ryan Adkins took 92nd place with a time of 24:35.4.

The final finisher for the Butler men’s team was redshirt sophomore Sean Robertson who ran a time of 25:57.6 to take 171st place.

The men’s team ran an 8K, while the women’s team ran a 5K on the Notre Dame golf course.

Leading the finishers for the Butler women’s team, redshirt senior Mia Beckham ran a time of 16:51.5 and finished in 40th place.

Like the men, the women also had four finishers in a specific time range, this one being in the 17 minute range. Redshirt freshmen Laure Bertrand finished in 67th place with a time of 17:14.0, redshirt sophomore Abby Olson ran a time of 17:17.3 to finish in 70th, redshirt sophomore Katherine Olsen finished 87th overall with a time of 17:26.5 and redshirt freshmen Lexi Affolter ran a time of 17:54.0 to take 126th place.

Running in the 18 minute zone, redshirt junior Morgan Werner finished in 147th place with a time of 18:08.4 and finishing out the finishers for Butler was freshman Ashley Learn with a time of 18:17.6 which gave her 155th place.

The women also had an open race where sophomore Ashlyn Minton, redshirt sophomore Abby Fostveit, redshirt junior Morgan Walsh all competed for Butler finishing 29th, 35th and 57th respectively.

Running unattached due to exhausting her cross country eligibility, Angelina Ellis finished fourth in the open race with a time of 16:53.6.

The next meet for both teams is NCAA Pre-Nationals being held at Oklahoma State University on Sat., October 15th.