Last Minute BCR Events to Attend

Butler students are required to attend 8 cultural performances before they graduate– here are some suggestions for students who have procrastinated completing them. Photo courtesy of Butler University website.

TYLER HUGHES | STAFF REPORTER | tjhughes@butler.edu

It is getting down to the wire on the semester and if you haven’t gotten your eight Butler Cultural Requirement credits before graduating, now is the time. Here are a few last minute events that you can attend for little to no money.

April 4: Eula Biss Visiting Writers Series

Biss is an award-winning writer of primarily non-fiction who writes about an array of topics including race and racial identity. This event is free and takes place in the Reilly Room at Atherton Union at 7:30 p.m.

April 12-13: Butler Opera Theatre-A Menotti Double-Bill: The Telephone and The Old Maid and the Thief

The Butler Opera Theatre will present a double-bill of operas by composer Gian Carlo Menotti. These are fun, energetic operas sure to brighten up your day. Tickets are $7.50 for students and each performance is at 7:30 p.m. in the Schrott Center for the Arts.

April 16: Andre Aciman Visiting Writers Series

Aciman is an award-winning author of primarily fiction with notable works including “Call Me by Your Name.” His work has appeared in the New York Times, the New Yorker and the Paris Review. The event will take place in the Reilly Room at 7:30 p.m. and is free.

April 20: Monty Python’s Spamalot

This Tony-Award winning musical rips off the Monty Python classic, “Monty Python and the Holy Grail. There will be two performances at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. The performance will take place at Clowes Memorial Hall with tickets starting at $49.

April 17-20 and 25-26: The Man Who- Butler Theatre

The play is based on the best-selling book, “The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat” by Oliver Sacks. The play incorporates elements of neuroscience and features unique sound and video components. Tickets are $15 for students. Performances take place at 7 p.m. except for April 26 which will take place at 2p.m. The performance will be held in Lilly Hall Studio Room 168.

April 27-28: Sleeping Beauty by Butler Ballet

This performance features the music of Tchaikovsky and will feature a live performance from the Butler Symphony Orchestra. Tickets for the event are $31.50 for main floor and first terrace and $24.50 for second terrace. Both performances will take place in Clowes Memorial Hall at 8 p.m. each day.