Butler University to close Wednesday due to cold weather

A snow covered mall on Butler University’s campus. Instead of snow, extremely cold temperatures have caused the university to shut down Wednesday. Collegian file photo.

ZACH HORRALL | DIGITAL EDITOR | zhorrall@butler.edu

Due to extremely cold temperatures expected on Wednesday, Butler University announced the university will be closed tomorrow, and only essential employees should report to campus.

Campus tours and True Blue visits are also cancelled Jan. 30-31. However, the Butler basketball game versus Marquette is still on schedule for a 6:30 p.m. tip off at Hinkle Fieldhouse. Events at Clowes Hall are also still on as scheduled.

Butler students were notified about the news in a Dawg Alert at 2 p.m.

The National Weather Service called for dangerously cold weather moving into central Indiana between Jan. 28 until Jan. 31. with temperatures dipping as low as 15 degrees below zero. Wind chills are expected to be as cold as 40 degrees below zero. In these temperatures, exposed skin can get frostbite in 10 to 30 minutes.

Butler joins a list of other universities in Indiana closing their campuses, including University of Notre Dame, Ball State University, University of Indianapolis and IUPUI.

Butler University Human Resources and Public Safety sent an email detailing extreme cold weather precautions. The email recommended to cover exposed skin, dress in layers, avoid sweating and stay dry, hydrate and wear winter gear such as a hat, knit mask and thermal underwear.

The Department of Public Safety sends messages to share general safety information reminders.

As for Thursday, the university said in a statement late Tuesday that they would evaluate weather conditions as they happen, and they encourage students to stay informed.

“Campus administrators will continue to monitor conditions throughout the day tomorrow to determine if further delay or closure is necessary for Thursday,” the statement read. “You can stay informed of any campus delays, cancellations, or closures at www.butler.edu, local radio and TV stations, and voicemail and text message alerts through Dawg Alert.”