Diversity and Inclusion Board week continues through Feb. 11

Photo courtesy of Butler University.

MORGAN SKERIES | STAFF REPORTER | mskeries@butler.edu

Butler University’s Diversity and Inclusion Board Week is in full effect this week. The events began on Feb. 6 and continue through the evening of Feb. 11.

DIB Week consists of one or two events every day that focus on diversity, culture, mental health and sexuality.

Bintou Doumbia is a sophomore chemistry major on the Special Events Committee for DIB. She helped to plan Feb. 6’s hip-hop-based event, “What’s The Word?: Breakin’ Down the Lyrics.”

“Breaking down the lyrics means we really take a deeper look into what the lyrics are trying to portray,” Doumbia said. “It has a lot of do with hip-hop culture in our society today.”

Special guest Mariah Ivey, a local artist, gave a performance at Feb. 6’s event.

Yesterday had two events lined up for the day. Afro-Latin Dance Night took place from and the “What Does Justice Mean to You” film viewing.

Abraham Diop, a sophomore international business and marketing major, is on the Special Events Committee that put on Tuesday’s Afro-Latin dance event.

“We do the rumba and samba, which are actually historically African dances,” he said. “Over time they have been commercialized differently. We highlight the African roots. Every event is going to be really exciting.”

Feb. 8’s events are the NOH8 Campaign that takes place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the Sex Cells: A Viewing of “America the Beautiful” and discussion, which will be held from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Diversity Center.

Feb. 9’s events are the Think About it: Mental Health and Intersectionality from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Diversity Center and Fighting for Our Rights: A Discussion With Ken Faulk at 9:30 a.m. in the Reilly Room.

Feb. 10’s events are the CFV Big Questions, from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. at the Center for Faith and Vocation, and the Pride Party from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Diversity Center.

The Pride Party is usually the most popular event with most student turnout.

DIB Week ends on Feb. 11 with an Indiana Pacers game at 7 p.m., completely free to students.

Diop explains that DIB week is always concurrent with Founder’s Week and has a certain theme that must be followed when planning events.

“We like to go along with the theme as much as we can, and this year the theme is justice,” Diop said. “It needs to be educational, or to raise awareness, or something fun. Usually it’s a mixture of all of those things.”

Diop suggested Butler try to become a more proactive school, instead of a reactive school. He thinks Butler waits for other schools to do events before putting them on themselves.

Diop does believe DIB week is very important to Butler’s community.

“DIB week is a good way to have a series of events based on education and discussion based around diversity,” he said. “It’s really cool to have especially here at Butler where we don’t have as much diversity.”

Doumbia agrees that the importance of DIB week is crucial on Butler’s campus.

“We go to a predominately white institution. We provide the diversity to start conversations and change the campus culture,” Doumbia said.

“I feel like we live in a bubble here at campus. We are not exposed to a lot of diverse issues it helps to spread awareness through our events.”

Senior Cristina McNeiley, the director of diversity and inclusion, looks forward to the rest of the week and for the attendance at the events.

“I hold DIB week really close to my heart, and I’m excited for every event, not to mention it’s my last year here at Butler,” McNeiley said.

“Diversity is for everyone and anyone, and I think sometimes that gets lost in discussion.”