Discovering which major is for you will come naturally

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

KATHLEEN BERRY | OPINION COLUMNIST | keberry@butler.edu

“You will just know.”

These four words are commonly thrown about when referring to several of the bigger, more stressful decisions in life.

TLC’s “Say Yes to the Dress” claims that when you find that perfect wedding gown, “You will just know.” Pop songs on the radio insist that when you run across that special someone in your life, “You will just know.” College admission offices repeatedly say “you will just know” when you find the university that is the best fit for you.

As frustratingly vague as this advice — or the apparent lack thereof — may sound to those of you who share my desire for some clear set of instructions when it comes to making potentially life-altering choices, I am about to say the same four words about yet another decision.

Choosing a major is a daunting task. There are so many choices, so many combinations, and so many questions. What do I want to do with my life? What do I really want to do with my life? What do I like? What do I love?

According to USA Today, approximately 80 percent of American college students change their major at least once before graduation. I am a part of that 80 percent.

I came to Butler last semester as a journalism major. It did not take very long at all for me to realize that it was not what I was looking for. After speaking to staff members and other students, it was hardly any time at all before I was meeting with my advisor to make the switch to strategic communication.

This semester, I walked into my first strategic communication class ready to get started on completing the courses required of my major. I had no idea that on the first day of Principles of Strategic Communication I was going to feel an overwhelming sense of relief, because I “just knew” that I had found the right major.

I could sit here and gush over how excited I was to learn about advertising, public relations and the like, but I will not bore you with the details.

Why not? The answer is simple: more than likely, you would not love hearing about it half as much as I would love to tell it, because it might not be your major.

The point is that when you find that class that gets you excited to walk in every day, you will know that you  found a passion. You have found something worth exploring a little deeper, and hey, maybe you have even found that perfect major for you.

If you want to make the most of your time here at Butler, if you want to find a career field that fits you and your aptitudes, search around a little bit. Take an elective here and sit in on a lecture there until you find that topic that wows you, even if the rest of the audience is half asleep.

Coming to college, I never thought I would change my major. It was a scary idea, and I certainly did not want to get behind in my classes. Yet, here I am.

Approximately 80 percent of college students change their major, and I changed mine within the first month of my first year.

I just knew.