Butler women’s basketball drop Big East game to Providence, 58-61

Sophomore Alexa Bailey inbounds the ball. Photo by Adam Cvik.

DANA LEE | SPORTS REPORTER | delee1@butler.edu

The Butler University women’s basketball team continues to struggle on the road, losing 68-51 to Big East opponent Providence College.

The loss extends the team’s three-game winless streak and sets their overall record to 3-10. Previously, the Bulldogs were 6-0 when facing the Friars in conference play.

The Friars garnered an early lead, scoring 20 points to Butler’s 12 in the first quarter. The Bulldogs shot 32 percent from the field while their opponent went 52 percent from the field.

Three-pointers refused to fall in for the visitors. The Bulldogs shot just 6.7 percent from behind the arc, making good on just one of 15 attempts. Comparatively, the Friars saw 53 percent of 3-pointers go in.

Butler worked from behind the entire game with exception to the first two minutes, after a layup from sophomore Tori Schickel gave her team a one point advantage, 4-3. The team trailed behind 33-24 at the half.

Freshman guard Kristen Spolyar  paced the team with 11 points in 24 minutes of play and was aided by 10 points from Schickel. The sophomore led the team with six rebounds. Despite her efforts, Butler was outrebounded 27 to 34.

The Friars were led by Jovana Nogic, who recorded 18 points. Three of her teammates followed by scoring in the double digits.

The Bulldogs return to Hinkle Fieldhouse on Jan. 2 to face Seton Hall University. The game is scheduled to start at 6:30 p.m.