Community of Care Reaches Out to Hurricane Matthew victims

Photo Courtesy of projecthopeexchange.com

Natalie Kinney | Culture Reporter | nkinney@butler.edu

Butler focuses its philanthropic efforts on helping the victims of Hurricane Matthew this month. All across campus, Dawgs are doing their part in Project Hope to send relief to those affected by the recent disaster.

Hurricane Matthew was a very powerful, long-lived and deadly tropical cyclone which became the first Category 5 Atlantic hurricane since Hurricane Felix in 2007. Matthew’s wrath stretched from Florida, Georgia and North Carolina, to Haiti, Colombia and Cuba.

In response, the Butler Way and its Community of Care have come out in full swing this week to raise not only money but also canned goods, medical supplies and equipment. These donations that will go to underserved and disaster areas.

The pharmacy fraternity Lambda Kappa Sigma collected donations at the gazebo by Starbucks and inside Starbucks every day last week. On Saturday, the fraternity hosted a photo challenge beginning at the Atherton Union steps. To end the week, members of Project Hope alongside 25 other Butler students participated in a walk on campus to raise more money to donate to the cause.

Sophomore Abraham Diop organized the food and cash drives and dedicated time and effort to the cause.

“It went well,” he said. “We partnered with the Butler athletics and the food recovery network. We raised $750 and 172 canned goods in one day.”

Not only does Butler help those nearby on campus or in Indianapolis, but is willing to offer help for any person and community in need.