Butler volleyball sweeps Wildcats in Philadelphia

The Butler volleyball team huddles on the sideline. Photo via Butlersports.com.

JIMMY LAFAKIS | STAFF REPORTER | jlafakis@butler.edu

The Butler University volleyball team kept their winning streak alive on Nov. 13 with a three set win over Villanova University, 25-20, 25-21, 25-23 to boost the Bulldogs’ record to 19-13 (8-8 Big East).

Butler led in every major statistical category. Sophomore outside hitter Anna Logan’s team-high 13 kills propelled Butler to victory.

Logan, who also posted 11 digs, said she wanted to lead the Bulldogs.

“I just went out there and tried to be vocal,” she said. “Today was a great team win that gave us a lot of confidence.”

Junior setter Makayla Ferguson handed out a team-high 34 assists. Ferguson said the team worked well as one unit.

“Our passing was incredible,” she said. “It allowed our hitters to be in system and execute balls at a high rate. All of the credit goes to our bench because their energy was incredible.

Sophomore libero Taylor Takeda added a team-high 11 digs. Head coach Sharon Clark said she took pride in Butler’s defensive effort.

“We played suffocating defense today,” she said. “The energy and enthusiasm from the bench carried onto the court, and we competed extremely well until the very end.”

Clark praised redshirt sophomore outside hitter Whitney Beck. Beck posted 11 kills.

“Whitney was unstoppable on the outside,” she said. “She was solid with passing for us, and also added four of our five aces on the day.”

Butler will welcome Marquette University to Hinkle Fieldhouse on Friday, November 18. First serve is scheduled for 6 p.m.