Bulldogs take down Friars in volleyball matchup

From left, Taylor Takeda, Makayla Ferguson and Whitney Beck celebrate after scoring a point. Photo by Jimmy Lafakis.

JIMMY LAFAKIS | STAFF REPORTER | jlafakis@butler.edu

The Butler University volleyball team snapped their losing streak on Sunday. The Bulldogs improved their record to 17-13 (6-8 Big East) after beating the Providence Friars in four sets, 25-19, 23-25, 25-14, 25-17.

Sophomore outside hitter Anna Logan and redshirt sophomore outside hitter Whitney Beck both contributed double-doubles. Logan amassed 20 kills and 15 digs on the day.

Beck, who posted 15 kills and 13 digs, said the Bulldogs focused on the little things.

“We stayed aggressive all the way around,” Beck said. “It was definitely hard for Providence to catch up.”

Beck added 15 kills and 13 digs. Sophomore libero Taylor Takeda led the defensive effort with 16 digs. Takeda said the win will help build Butler’s confidence.

“We just remembered how to play well together,” Takeda said. “We also remembered how to keep this up. We played really well together today.”

Sunday’s win was Butler’s second victory over Providence this season.

Junior setter Makayla Ferguson added 51 assists. Ferguson gave credit to the Bulldogs’ hitters.

“They did a good job of mixing up their shots,” Ferguson said. “They kept the defense on their toes, and it was a great win for us.”

The Bulldogs will head east to face Georgetown University on Nov. 12. First serve in Washington, D.C. is scheduled for 2 p.m.