Butler golf has strong showing at invitational

Photo courtesy of Butlersports.com.

JOSH MULLENIX | STAFF REPORTER | jmulleni@butler.edu

The Butler University men’s and women’s golf teams competed in the Butler Fall Invitational at Highland Golf and Country Club Oct. 3-4, with both teams finishing third in the team competitions.

The women finished with a two-round total of 613 and the men finished with a three-round total of 862.

Junior Kelsey McDougall led the women’s team with rounds of 72 and 77 finishing in a tie for sixth. Sophomore Lauren Tibbets also placed in the top 10 with a two-round total of 152.

Juniors Rachel Gathof and Abigail Gleixner both finished with totals of 156. Freshman Betsy Warner rounded out the team effort with a two-round total of 171.

Three lady Bulldog golfers competed as individuals.

Senior Megan McCambridge posted rounds of 79 and 83 to finish in a tie for 25th. Junior Catie Liggett finished the tournament with a total of 169 and freshman Janisa Bondoc finished with a total of 172 shots.

Freshman Patrick Allgeier turned in rounds of 71, 69, and 72 for a 212 total to finish in a tie for 3rd place, marking the best finish of the freshman’s young career.

“I hit the ball pretty well from tee to green over the two days,” Allgeier said. “I hit my approach shots close to the hole on the first day, which led to converting some of the short puts I had.”

Senior Joey Arcuri and sophomore Gehrig Hollatz finished in a tie for 10th with three-round totals of 216.

Freshman Michael Denner followed closely behind finishing with a total of 218 over the three rounds. Junior Hunter Byram completed the Butler lineup with a total of 227.

The men’s team also had three golfers competing as individuals.

Sophomore Zach Carrabine finished with in a tie for 27th with a three-round score of 226. Sophomore Ricky Kuiper completed the tournament with a three-round score of 236 followed closely by senior Iain Ferlmann.

University of Indianapolis won the team event on the women’s side with a team total of 592. IUPUI and Butler University completed the top 3 followed by Marian University, Chicago State University, Eastern Illinois University, and Bellarmine University.

University of Indianapolis’s Paxton DeHaven won the individual title with rounds of 72 and 71 for a 143 total.

University of Indianapolis won the team event on the men’s side as well with a team total of 854. University of Evansville finished in second place one shot back. Butler University finished in third followed by Marian University, Morehead State University, Vincennes University, and Chicago State University.

The men’s golf team will be back in action at the Notre Dame Fighting Irish Invitational Oct. 9-11. The women’s golf team will finish the fall portion of their schedule when they compete at the Evansville Invitational Oct. 24-25.