Cookies and Canvas to cap off the first full week of school

Photo courtesy of Butler SGA Twitter

SORELL GROW | STAFF REPORTER | svgrow@butler.edu

How does one celebrate the completion of the first full week of school here at Butler? For nearly 200 students, it consisted of relaxation through painting.

Butler’s annual Cookies and Canvas event, organized by the Student Government Association, took place in the Reilly Room this past Friday night.

Two-hundred canvases, paint palettes, cups of water and paintbrushes lined long tables in the room, which were eventually taken over by students ready to create their own masterpieces.

The event is similar to wine and canvas, which is a common get-together for adults throughout the country. Instead of wine, Friday’s event served Oreos and autumn-themed sugar cookies as snacks during the painting session.

Participants were led by an instructor who displayed her sample painting on a projector screen at the front of the room. She guided the students step-by-step through the process of creating the sample design, while encouraging each student to take their own spin on the piece and test their creativity.

Sophomore Cindy Cifuentes responded positively when asked for her opinion on the event.

“It’s really relaxing, and who doesn’t love cookies?” Cifuentes said.

Students of all grades came along for the free painting session on Friday night.

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 10.25.17 AM

An example painting of the design the students were guided through. – Photo courtesy of Sorell Grow

Some students became so enveloped in their artwork, like first-year student Liliana Chirco, that they did not notice the mess they were making.

“It was very fun, even though I have to clean paint off my elbows now,” Chirco said.

Cookies, a popular playlist playing on the speakers, and a free painting to take home all made for another successful night at Cookies and Canvas.