Bulldogs of Butler: Laura Tonner

Laura (right) enjoys the friendly atmosphere Butler offers. Photo courtesy of Laura Tonner’s Facebook.

LIZZY HACKL | CULTURE EDITOR | ehackl@butler.edu

Grade: Senior

From: Rensselaer, IN

Major: Pharmacy

Involvements: President for STES Connect, Lambda Kappa Sigma pharmacy fraternity, Butler Catholic Community

Favorite involvement on campus: being the Vice President of Administration for Pi Beta Phi

Favorite hangout place: Ripple Bagel and Deli

Favorite Starbucks order: Caramel iced coffee with half and half “I get 50 cent refills.”

Q&A with The Butler Collegian

The Butler Collegian: What are you most passionate about?

Laura Tonner: Sports. I love Butler Basketball. I used to play on the Butler Women’s Basketball team for a year, but enjoy watching games now.

TBC: Why did you choose Butler?

LT: I came to play basketball at Butler with a major in pre-PA, but have since switched my major to pharmacy.

TBC: What inspired you to change your major to pharmacy? What would you tell prospective pharmacy students?

LT: I went to Guatemala on a medical mission trip with Timmy Global Health. As a pre-PA major, I was was chosen to volunteer and work in their pharmacy department. I fell in love with the way pharmacy helped those in need. Being placed in the pharmacy department in Guatemala was a blessing in disguise because it formed my passions.

TBC: You recently interned in China. What words of advice would you give to a student wishing to study abroad?

LT: I got class credits with my pharmaceutical internship, which I went on with 19 other Butler students for six weeks. It was an incredible experience and I was able to grow and learn more about Chinese cultures. I recommend studying abroad with an open mind because you’ll learn a lot.

TBC: What is your favorite thing about Butler?

LT: The people are really friendly. It’s nice to walk somewhere on campus and see four or five people I know.

TBC: What would you tell someone looking at Butler?

LT: Butler is a great school for opportunities. There are multiple ways to get involved. Butler offers countless internships that will help you with your future career.