Phi Delta Theta fights ALS during All Star Weekend

GABBY MOLINE | STAFF REPORTER

Lou Gehrig is known as a great Major League baseball player, as well as a victim of the incurable disease ALS. Many people don’t know, though, that Gehrig was also a member of the fraternity Phi Delta Theta. Butler’s Phi Delta Theta held their annual All Star Weekend on April 2 to support those with ALS.

There was fierce competition throughout the week leading up to All Star Weekend as the sororities battled for points. Points could be collected by purchasing t-shirts, eating waffle sundaes, and more. It all came down, though, to the big events on Saturday, the whiffle ball tournament and lip syncs.

Although there were 30 mph winds, people still came to cheer on the teams. One of the bundled-up spectators was Mackenzie Thompson.

“I thought that it was a great week that raised money for a wonderful cause,” Thompson said. “It was fun to support my sisters at the whiffle ball game and lip syncs.”

In the end, Alpha Phi defeated Tri Delta in the whiffle ball tournament. Tri Delta took home the gold for the lip syncs and for the weekend overall.

Senior Phi Delt member Ryan Castrogiovanni put in a lot of hard work for the event and enjoyed seeing it pay off.

“My favorite part is seeing how everyone else enjoys themselves,” Castrogiovanni said.

Although the competitions were fun, people were reminded of the seriousness of the cause, ALS. On Saturday morning, there was a Dawg Jog/Walk to honor the sister of alumni and house corporation member Hugh Diehl. Diehl found out this past Thanksgiving that his sister was diagnosed with ALS.

“It’s a good fit for the chapter that they continue to do this,” Diehl said. “My sister will be long gone, but this will be part of a legacy.”