Track and field posts strong performance at prestigious Meyo Invitational

ZACH HORRALL | SPORTS CO-EDITOR | zhorrall@butler.edu

The Butler University track and field team set personal and indoor school records at the prestigious Meyo Invitational hosted by the University Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana Feb. 5-6.

The Meyo Invitational holds prestige because only the top runners in the country are invited to the event.

Senior All-American Olivia Pratt took home seventh in the women’s 3,000-meter run with a time of 9:18.46. Her time was also the seventh fastest time clocked by a runner in the nation this season and second in Butler indoor history.

Junior Maddie Westerhoff finished the women’s 3,000-meter race 31st. Her time of 9:51.51 was a personal record. Also setting a personal record was junior Colleen Weatherford. In the women’s one mile run, she clocked in at 4:53.27, good enough for sixth in the race and seventh on the Butler all-time list.

Butler star and All-American senior Erik Peterson rose to sixth on the all-time indoor record list with a time of 4:03.52 in the men’s one mile run.

Sophomore Johnny Leverenz finished in the top-10 in both of his events over the weekend. In the men’s 600-meter run, he ran a time of 1:20.35, good enough for eighth, and less than a second off the school record. In section four of the men’s 800-meter run, he ran a 1:51.87 for a second place finish.

Freshmen Tim Vestuto, Sam Robinson and Jake Kellersohn, and sophomore Bobby Johnson all set personal records over the weekend as well. Vestuto also won section one of the men’s 200-meter dash with a time of 22.83.

Some runners are heading to Seattle, Washington for the Husky Classic hosted by The University of Washington Feb. 12 and 13, while others are heading to Purdue University for the Fred Wilt Invitational on Feb. 13.