SGA Senate Applications Due Friday

BLAKELY HEATON / NEWS REPORTER

For all students that want to run for Butler University’s new Student Government Association Senate, the application is due this Friday, Sept. 11 at 12 p.m.

The Senate application has been live since Monday, Sept. 1 and was handed out at SGA’s call-out meeting that evening. Applications can be downloaded off the Senate website or picked up in the PuLSE Office. Applications can be submitted via email to sga@butler.edu.

SGAApp

Student government president Katelyn Sussli gave insight on the application process, and said it is “pretty extensive, it’s not just put your name down and hope for the best.”

In addition to meeting GPA and conduct requirements, the application requires each potential candidate to complete a short profile, answer several questions about why he/she wants to be on the Senate, outline plans for his/her term and gather 20 signatures from Butler students that are willing to attest to his or her ability to be a senator.

“Students must be invested in this,” Sussli said. “It is a commitment and we’re very excited. Again, the application process is a little more extensive because I think it will separate those students who are kind of iffy about it from those who are really excited about being able to represent the student voice.”

All students that SGA deems eligible to run for Senate will be notified on Sept. 14, and receive a $10 campaigning budget.

Campaign week will be next week, Sept. 14-18 starting at 8 a.m. Monday. All candidates may only campaign in their respective area, whether it be an academic college or residence hall.

Sussli said keeping up to date on the campaign will be easy.

“You’ll be included in the campaigning process through listserv emails, through posters, there will be plenty of opportunities for students to be able to have interactions with the candidate before the election which is always a good thing,” she said.

Following the campaign week, election day will be Sept. 21 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m..

Stay tuned as the Butler Collegian follows the Senate election.